Replacing Stock Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Stock Shocks

Hey, i'm getting 285/75/16s right away and i still have to crank up the torsion bars on the front end. My front passengers shock just died on me and i need to replace the front two shocks. My question is: what shocks should i get? I don't really want to pay more than what stock shocks cost. 03 Screw.

Also another question, do i have to level my truck with the torsion bars, or can the tires still fit with the front end just a little lower than the back (So i don't have to crank my torsion bars so far.)?

Thanks.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:15 PM
As far as shocks go, my recommendation would be Bilsteins. But they are more expensive than stock shocks. Worth every penny IMO though...

As far as the torsion bars go, you won't know if you'll need to crank them or not until you get the tires on. See how bad they rub if at all. If they don't rub, there's no need to crank them if you don't want to.

If they do rub, I'd crank them but what I did was remove the 3" plastic air valance. That long plastic strip underneath the front end. By removing this, you won't need to crank the T-bars as much, reducing wear and tear, but the truck looks more level because the front end isn't as low to the ground anymore.

That's what I did. pics in my gallery if you want to see them.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You won't need to crank your torsion bars and just about any aftermarket shock will be better than the OEM shocks.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by wandell
You won't need to crank your torsion bars and just about any aftermarket shock will be better than the OEM shocks.

So i won't have to crank my torsion bars at all?? I want to be sure because i'm getting the tires right away and ill be putting on over 1000km before i get a chance to get an alignment, unless i get it off the get-go. I do want to save on cash right now. I'm running 235/75/16s right now.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What's the big hang up with cranking up the torsion bars any amount??

Old 12-14-2007, 08:28 PM
I just don't want to pay the $100 for an alignment.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW!! Alignments are $39 in my area, except Tuesday when they have a $29 special.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by Galaxy
What's the big hang up with cranking up the torsion bars any amount??
Just my opine but using the torsion bars to raise or lower a vehicle isn't the best approach - the best bet is to use parts designed for such a purpose, when you loosen or tighten the torsion bar you are changing the spring rate of the torsion bar as well as changing the ride height.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:42 AM
True, the specific parts designed for it is better, but the torsion bar method is free. And thats what i like to call the farmers lift kit.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:50 PM
monroe sensatrac is the best value and also the smoothest riding shock IMO. bilsteins are good but a little stiff if you just want to stay around stock.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, on a torsion bar suspension there are only two options to increase ride heigth...crank em or a lift kit. Not to be a jerk since I know what you meant, but you don't change the spring rate by cranking on the bars. The rate of a spring (or torsion bar) is "built in" for lack of a better term. Cranking them up is the same as pre-loading a coil spring. You don't change the rate. It gives the impression of a (very slightly) firmer ride because you have used some of the load of the spring that was initially designed to be used up by the first movements of suspension travel. On two trucks now I would have to say (personal perception obviously) any increase in ride stiffness was negligible, if noticable, and worth the cost in the appearance of the truck.

Torsion bars are designed to be adjusted...although yes, the intent was not to lift the truck, but to return it to its original heigth, but the free lift is a great by-product. Cranking up the torsion bars is no different (in the terms of what is being accomplished in the spring [torsion bar]) than what post '04 owners are doing when they lift the front of their trucks with some type of spring altering method...i.e. the Bilstein shock. It pre-loads the spring so the truck doesn't sit down as far in its travel as it did before. That's all.

Since there have been probably thousands of thousands of miles driven on just as many truck with cranked up torsion bars, I'd be confident that there's not much down side to this mod. I have never heard of anyone experiencing any ill effects from such.

Last edited by Galaxy; 12-15-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:40 PM
Hi Galaxy - Well stated & I agree with what you're saying, my experience with torsion bars stems from dropping the front of my 69 Charger using the torsion bars and the ride suffered terribly, I returned the ride to near stock after only a few miles. As far as the Screw goes I'd give it a try but its my wifes truck & she uses it for real estate & has had customers complain its to high in stock form so till she gets something else & I take it over the ride height has to stay stock unfortunately.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:44 PM
torsion bars

can someone tell me in detail, how i can raise my torsion bars,. im only looking to gain about 1",

Old 12-16-2007, 09:35 AM
Theres some good info. with pics here:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...sion+bar+raise

Be SURE to get your front end aligned after changing the ride height

Old 12-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by LittleTow
Theres some good info. with pics here:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...sion+bar+raise

Be SURE to get your front end aligned after changing the ride height
little tow thanks for the link i might to turn them some befoer i get alligned tommrow..

Quick Reply: Replacing Stock Shocks