ball joint replacment

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ball joint replacment

Hi all,, Merry Christmas !!

just found out I need the lower ball joints and idler arm replaced.
truck is 01 F-150 2 wheel drive,,, Ford wants $750.00 for the job!!!
Anybody do this job yourself?,, is it difficult?,, any special tools
required? Appreciate any and all thoughts on this....
thanks,
Feenster

Old 12-10-2007, 06:52 PM
First thing you will need is a Chiltons book or similar. It is an easy do-it-yourself job if you are mechanically inclined. You should be able to rent a ball joint tool from the parts store. You should be able to get a new upper control arm, lower ball joints and an idler arm for about $175.00. Don't forget to get the camber/caster kits. You will need a total of two pairs. These will replace the hardware for the upper control arm.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just replaced all that stuff when i put my lift on. It is fairly easy if yur mechanically incline. For the ball joints pop off the retaining clip and push out the old and put in the new. Not sure how a ball joint press works. I used a shop press cause i had the lower control arm off. just make sure u leave the nut on so u dont mess up the threads. For the idler arm it is just a few bolts and u swap it out. I think it was about 100 bucks or so for the parts. Screw 750 bucks. u should do it yurself.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Its a pretty simple job. a tip is to put the lower ball joints in the freezer to aid installing them.

You will also need an alignment once you are done.

I also recommend getting quality parts, not the cheap ones. Moog and Spicer are all USA made parts. With the idler arm you have 2 available. to find the one you need, measure the distance between the mounting bolt holes. Its either 4.5" or 5.5".

Quick Reply: ball joint replacment