Diff between suspension and body lifts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 08:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diff between suspension and body lifts?

Could someone please clarify what the difference is, and give maybe an example or two of companies which make either so I know who is selling what? I've a mind to give a little lift to my 03 Ex 4x4 with larger tires, but I'm not sure what is the best way to do that without selling off one of my kids. Ok, maybe two at the most.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:37 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by waterman308
Could someone please clarify what the difference is, and give maybe an example or two of companies which make either so I know who is selling what? I've a mind to give a little lift to my 03 Ex 4x4 with larger tires, but I'm not sure what is the best way to do that without selling off one of my kids. Ok, maybe two at the most.
LOL - I never liked body lifts because they showed to much of the frame. But on the 97-03 models they don't look that bad . Kevin24 installed a body lift and added 35's and it turned out looking really good. I think the max on the body lift is still 3" and there a hell of allot cheaper than a suspension lift, under $200..

Trail-master use to make both , but it's been along time since I lifted anything.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body lifts take the body off of the frame, and lifts it 2"-3". None of your suspension is effected. You still maintain your stock shocks and all stock suspension. This is done by installing 2"-3" spindles underneath all of the body bolts. They are cheaper than suspension lifts, they can look really good if you get gap guards (gap guards cover the space you now have between the body and the frame), and aren't too difficult to install. They allow for for use of bigger tires. Most people who install them upgrade to a 33" or a 35" tire. They are primarily for looks with the installation of bigger tires, will give you added ground clearance. I've installed 2 of them. They are time consuming but not too bad. Labor for installation usually runs $500 to as much as $1000. The kit itself is fairly inexpensive compared to a suspension lift. If you are going to go this way, you want to use Performance Accessories, they have the best Body Lift kit on the market and come with everything you need.

Suspension lifts lift all of your suspension components to give you the additional ground clearance. They required different shocks and usually range from 3"-8"... They are more expensive but allow you run even larger tires. I haven't intsalled any suspension lifts but heard that they are not that difficult. There are many more reputable companies and choice to look at with suspension lifts. Fabtech, Rize, BDS, just to name a few.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree.

Quick Reply: Diff between suspension and body lifts?