Sway bar problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sway bar problems

How do I get my sway bar off of a 05 supercab.The nuts that hold the sway bar onto the lower control arms use those stupid lock nuts and I cant get them all the way off to take the sway bar off. Thought about heating the washer inside the nut so I could get it the rest of the way off but wanted to see what you guys and girls thought. Any tricks??

Old 11-25-2007, 11:13 PM
Don't use heat, you'll risk boiling the grease inside the joint and it'll run out leaving it dry.

If the nut on the sway bar end link is spinning use a wrench on the big nut and a socket on the end of the ball joint shaft to keep the ball joint from spinning. I don't suggest using a crescent or vise grips. The metal there isn't the hardest and it can strip.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:41 PM
I used vice grips.... grabbed the bottom part, handles facing down, and was good to go. But you MUST be careful with your threads... they bend and distort very easily, leaving you SOL. x2 on the no heat.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:31 AM
Lower stab bar nut still issue?

If you are still having an issue with the lower nut run it back down and check your threads. The lower one is prone to damage. Clean it up if you can and the nut should not be a problem. Also agree on no heat.

Quick Reply: Sway bar problems