need help fast!! please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help fast!! please help!!

im adjusting the bilstiens and im all done the only problem is that im trying to tighten the upper control arm ball joint and it seems to move with the bolt. it did this on the other side but only for a little bit. what can i do to tighten it up easier?? need help asap. i go in to work at 2 and i still need to take it to get aligned.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:55 PM
You have to put pressure on the bolt up toward the control arm. Sometimes you can put enough pressure on it by hand, but most likely you'll have to use a clamp. When pressed in, the ball sort of locks so it won't spin.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:01 PM
Also, the alignment may not be off that bad, if at all. After installing my coilovers I didn't need one.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:19 PM
well after installing one.. i think i will need one. ill check it out when i drive it. ok so i need to put presure upwards then correct?

Old 11-20-2007, 01:25 PM
Yes. It can be tricky, but you'll have to find a way to push the ball up into the socket while tightening it. Sometimes you can get a clamp on it, sometimes you have to use channel locks, and sometimes you can use a jack and the weight of the vehicle to do it. I'm not familer with the new body style so I don't know exactly how to do it on yours.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:36 PM
wow that worked thankz jiggle.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:16 PM
Ok now you gotta update your pics!

I'm going to be adding a body lift myself here in a couple months. Did you do your body lift yourself? If so, how long did it take and was it hard?

Old 11-20-2007, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Impact9
Ok now you gotta update your pics!

I'm going to be adding a body lift myself here in a couple months. Did you do your body lift yourself? If so, how long did it take and was it hard?
no i didnt do it my self and the person who did told me that from now on they were gonna charge a lot more to install, said it was a hassle. keep in mind this person took about 4hours to install my suspesion lift. the shop charged me 600. hey impact i forgot to ask u.. can u take a pic of how that skid plate is mounted? i wanna get one but i dont know if it will fit with my body lift.

Last edited by TonkaTruck33; 11-20-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by TonkaTruck33
no i didnt do it my self and the person who did told me that from now on they were gonna charge a lot more to install, said it was a hassle. keep in mind this person took about 4hours to install my suspesion lift. the shop charged me 600. hey impact i forgot to ask u.. can u take a pic of how that skid plate is mounted? i wanna get one but i dont know if it will fit with my body lift.

I didn't even think about that! I'm pretty sure it won't work since the mounting spot for the front plate is connected to a bracket that mounts on the lower valance bolts. With the bumper moved up it's going to be too short and angles way off to match up.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by Impact9
I didn't even think about that! I'm pretty sure it won't work since the mounting spot for the front plate is connected to a bracket that mounts on the lower valance bolts. With the bumper moved up it's going to be too short and angles way off to match up.

wow and i need one asap cuz i hate that big gap. do u think theres any way that i can add some other peace to make it fit? without looking home made? im thinking of just buying it and messing around with it. but if it dosent look good then im screwed.

Last edited by TonkaTruck33; 11-20-2007 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:24 PM
yea not a fan of the gap myself. You might be able to use some stainless diamond plate and make a 3" drop for the mounting bracket to attach to. Then use some nice looking hardware to keep it clean. Or get the skid plates made at a machine shop. Should be real easy with a descent size bender. No more than what a skid plate is I'd make one myself. \

Oh while I'm thinking of it have you noticed any suspension knocking sounds since installing your 5100's? Sounds like I got something loose every time I hit a bump there's a dull knock. Maybe something else in the lift is working loose but damn is it hard to find cause every thing is still pretty tight.

Last edited by Impact9; 11-20-2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:31 PM
im gonna ask my uncle to see if he has some sheet metal at his work, i might go that route and make one. ill post pics if i do make one.

Quick Reply: need help fast!! please help!!