Torsion Key Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torsion Key Problem

Okay so I just bought a set of torsion keys from an ebay store. They look like every other set of torsion keys, etc. And have a lifetime warranty against sagging and so on. I have a 2001 F-150 7700 4x4. I just recieved an e-mail from the salesguy saying he will not send me them because they are not designed for a 7 lug f-150. I told him that there is no difference in the torsion bars, and that the only rear difference is the torsion bar length, and not the size of the ends where the torsion bar fits into the keys. Am I right in saying this? And should I ask him to send them to me anyways? Thanks alot guys!

Old 11-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes you are right,they are the same torsion bar ends as the stock ones.My guess as to why they don't want to sell them to you is becasue of the cvangle they might create would be possilby to extreme if you put them on and cranked them up all the way.The 7700 trucks are suppose to sit higher in the front compared to a normal F150.On my 99 F150 excab I bought and installed a set of new 7700 torsion bars in my truck and cranked them with my stock keys and it set the truck up plenty enough for me so I didn't have to use the different set of keys.I actually biought a set of brand new torsion bar keys that have the different offset but I never used them because like I said ,the 7700 bars set it up high enough for me.I would sell you my keys that are still brand new never install and are still in the box they came in for $35 plus shipping if you really want a set.I have sold the truck and there just sitting in the box in the garage.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:47 PM
Thanks alot for the info. I would be interested in buying the torsion keys from you. What brand are they? If you want you can e-mail me at think_07@hotmail.com since my private message feature isn't enabled yet. Thanks alot!

Old 11-17-2007, 10:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure about your question on fitment, but he did you a favor in my opionion. The aftermarket torsion bar keys allow you to put way, way too much preload on the torsion bars. This will destroy your ride quality and cause premature wear and tear on your CV and ball joints.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:01 PM
If I cranked them all the way up with the torsion keys installed I could definetly cause premature wear.. but I'm not planning on cranking them right out. My truck already rides quite rough, and I personally don't mind a rough ride at all, I actually kind of prefer it. I wouldnt be adding a leaf on the rear if I did. I know I will wear front end parts out faster, but there is always a compromise when you're modifying your vehicle past the range of what it was designed for. A guy down the street from me has a 7700 and he's got about 3 inches of lift from cranking his torsion bars and he hasnt had a real accelerated wear on his front end stuff, and he's put thousands of km on it like that, he just told me to make sure I get some hose clamps and pull the cv boots downso they are not all bunched up because they will crack very quickly, otherwise he's had nothing but good luck with it, and he does pretty heavy wheeling with his, mine is just going to be mostly a mall crawler as I've got a K5 blazer project which is my real wheeler. I just wanted to confirm that the torsion keys were interchangable.

Quick Reply: Torsion Key Problem