how can you tell if the idler arm is bad

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 11:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how can you tell if the idler arm is bad

01 Screw with 57,000 miles...
When getting my truck inspected last month the mechanic highly advised me to get a new idler arm, because it is bad. How can you tell if it is bad? I checked it out and it seemed to be tight, and I have greased it a few times in the 2 years that I have owned the truck. When it goes bad what does it affect?

Old 11-08-2007, 11:40 PM
I just replaced mine about 2000mi. ago and I have 60k. I first noticed alot of steering wheel shake and sloppy steering, also when I got under to look at it there was grease coming out of the seal. Did you have it on a lift when you checked it because the mec. may have been able to move it when it was in the air, I know that I checked mine on a lift. Dont know if that has anything to do with it but I would give it a try. Also it is really a simple job if you have the right tools. Go to auto zone and get them if you dont want to buy them and save some money. I have a DIY shop on my base so it is really simple for me. Hope this helps

Old 11-09-2007, 12:27 AM
Thanks, firedog
When I checked it, it was not on a lift, and if I remember right last time I greased it, some did squirt out of the seal.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:54 AM
Just grab the center link next to the idler arm and try to move it up and down. If it has any play replace it.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:19 PM
I checked for freeplay on my center link and it moved about 1/8 of an inch (up and down), so I replaced the idler arm. Now its nice and stiff, and it was easy to install.

Quick Reply: how can you tell if the idler arm is bad