Leveling Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 02:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leveling Questions

I am about to buy a leveling kit for my 2006 F-150 4X4. I have a few questions. Is the staggered kit really needed? Some people talk about the angles of the 2.5" kit, but now there is a 3" kit being sold. What does everyone suggest? I want a level truck. It looks like the main choice is a regular straight piece or a staggered one. Please help, as I do not want to have to do this again.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:27 AM

There are a few things to consider? First, both the 2" and 2.5" kits are fine. Stay away from a 3" as it will put severe angles on your UCA's! Now, if you haul anything, I'd go with a 2" kit. If you do not, go with a 2.5" as that one will make your truck sit level. I am running a 2.5" on my FX4 and it sits level. I would also recommend Autospring. That is what most members here run. They are a good kit and priced right! Here is a link to there site:

www.autospringcorp.com

Also, you want the offset kit which is what AS sells anyway. Good luck!

Old 10-14-2007, 10:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the imput. Does the staggered unit really make that much of a difference? I need the 2.5 at least do to the tires I have, but I do pull car trailers from time to time. If it sags to much I will have to go with a small block in the rear.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:54 PM

If you do haul from time to time, you might want to consider a AAL. If you do add one, it may kick up the tail a little higher.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If by "staggered" you mean the new Autospring, it's a good idea. The offset design prevents the a-arm from touching the spring at full suspension droop.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:52 PM
I too am looking for a nice level truck. It sounds that the 2.5 inch produces a more level apperance and is not recomended if any to some towing is to be done. I this just to prevent the rear of the truck sagging during a heavier tow?

Old 10-15-2007, 02:27 AM
If you have a 2006, I'd check first to see how many leafs are in your rear leaf pack first. If you only have 3 total, a Autospring 2" will make you sit level, while a 2.5" will more than likely make the front higher than the rear. Most of the time a 2" A.S. will raise you about 2.5", while the 2.5" Autospring could net you close to 3" or more. I have installed 5 sets of Autosprings now and this is what I ended up with everytime.

I have had the 3" skyjacker lift you mentioned, unless you talking about the truxx. The angles WILL NOT be more severe than the 2.5" Autospring. Trust me, I have docummented this MANY times in the past. I actually got more lift from the Autospring than the Skyjacker 3".

Old 10-15-2007, 02:34 AM
Originally Posted by TbaggsTruck
I too am looking for a nice level truck. It sounds that the 2.5 inch produces a more level apperance and is not recomended if any to some towing is to be done. I this just to prevent the rear of the truck sagging during a heavier tow?
On a '04, Yes I would go with the 2.5 A.S. to achieve the level stance. When you are level, if you do haul anything, your rear end will sag though.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by hmfic
If you have a 2006, I'd check first to see how many leafs are in your rear leaf pack first. If you only have 3 total, a Autospring 2" will make you sit level, while a 2.5" will more than likely make the front higher than the rear. Most of the time a 2" A.S. will raise you about 2.5", while the 2.5" Autospring could net you close to 3" or more. I have installed 5 sets of Autosprings now and this is what I ended up with everytime.

I have had the 3" skyjacker lift you mentioned, unless you talking about the truxx. The angles WILL NOT be more severe than the 2.5" Autospring. Trust me, I have docummented this MANY times in the past. I actually got more lift from the Autospring than the Skyjacker 3".

I have an '06 and I went with a 2.5" and my FX4 is perfectly level. Had I gone with a 2" it probably would have not sat level. Then again, that's just my truck.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:37 PM
The FX4 looks level, but now I am wondering how many leafs are in the rear on a FX4... The King Ranch of hmfic looks level, and it claims to have a 2" with a add a leaf in the rear. This does not add up. Is there any more thoughts out there?

Old 10-16-2007, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by BigDaddy06
The FX4 looks level, but now I am wondering how many leafs are in the rear on a FX4... The King Ranch of hmfic looks level, and it claims to have a 2" with a add a leaf in the rear. This does not add up. Is there any more thoughts out there?
I'm not positive of the '06's had 3 or 4 factory leafs. The 07's only have 3. To me, hivoltagefx4's truck looks a hair high in the front, even looking at his other pics. Granted all I have is pics to look at, not the actual truck.

Mine with the 2" A.S. sat dead level on one side, and about a 1/8" high in the front on the other. I just put the AAL on a few days ago, so that pic is not current. It looked great before the AAL, but if I was parked on any slight of a grade or had ANYTHING in the box the rear looked like it was sagging, which to me looks like poo..

Old 10-16-2007, 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by hivoltagefx4
There are a few things to consider? First, both the 2" and 2.5" kits are fine. Stay away from a 3" as it will put severe angles on your UCA's!
Really?

That one-half inch will make the world of difference, as far as stress in concerend, to your upper control arm?

Old 10-16-2007, 06:40 AM

Yes, the extra 1/2" will be to much on the UCA's. To answer HMFIC's post, yes, my truck my look like it is higher in the nose, but my pictures are on a slight grade. When parked at a perfectly level spot, the truck is not higher in the nose.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:09 PM
Well I did it! I bought the AS 2.5". If it sits to high in the front, I guess I can always a little something to the rear. Thanks for all the help guys!

Quick Reply: Leveling Questions