Leveling and OEM 20's

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leveling and OEM 20's

Hey all- Looking to buy a 07 FX4 SCrew in the next week or two and am already planning a few mods... Did a stage one kit on my old 03 Scab but still sort of (Very Much) a noob in this- and searching has not turned up quite what I'm looking for:

1. With a 2" or 2.5" leveling kit I've seen many say I could run 33 or even 35's but would that still apply to the 20" that came stock?

2. What exactly does the rear 1.5 AAL kit do? Is it necessary with a front level kit? How does it work in relation to the front 2/2.5 level?

3. What exactly is 'back spacing' (please use small words and type slow). I hear it used alot but not sure how it would relate to me looking to run a bigger tire on stock rims (or is that a no-no?)

4. I see most people who mod are running 18" wheels or smaller- Is there a practical reason or just 'looks' ?

I've saved the best noob questions for the last...

5. Why do they label/say 33 or 35 instead of the usual tire sizes (ie: 275/55/20). How do the two relate?

Thanks guys and gals-
Hope to have some fun with you in the future!

Old 09-15-2007, 10:09 PM
the 33/35 thing just depends on what system the company uses.

Do they use the metric system? Or our system?

Old 09-15-2007, 11:53 PM
not to hog the tread or anything but FAVRE how do u like those kmc wheels with the toyo tires. how much does the ride change

Old 09-16-2007, 09:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Backspacing is simply a measurement. It's the distance from the mounting surface of the wheel (where it bolts to the hub) to the edge of it's rear lip. The more backspacing, the more the wheel tucks in. The less bs, the more the wheel sticks out. I believe the oem 20's are 8.5 inches wide with 5.5 inches of bs. You can fit a 35x12.50 using the oem wheels and a leveling kit on a 4x4. You will have some minor rubbing on the control arms at full steering lock however. As for the add-a-leaves, some people add them to raise the rear of their truck. Some people tow/haul and don't want the rear of their truck to squat after they install a leveling kit.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:52 AM
The AAL is not necessary if you do not tow alot. On a brand new truck though,with a leveling kit the AAL would put some of the factory rake back.

Smaller rims mean less $$$$ and tires are cheaper also. Personally, I like a lot of tire. Maybe it's a southern thang.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by tylerN
not to hog the tread or anything but FAVRE how do u like those kmc wheels with the toyo tires. how much does the ride change

Ride changes a little bit, but its barely noticeable.

For example when Im just putting along at like 5-10 MPH, I can feel a difference, but once it goes over that, its just a TINY bit of roughness, as compared to the stockers.

However, TOTALLY worth it to me

Quick Reply: Leveling and OEM 20's