Coil spring removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coil spring removal

Ok guys, i know ill get the common answer to use a spring compressor tool. But, on the show trucks, they took off the spring without it just to show how the guys at home could do it without the tool. I didnt pay too much attention to how they did it because i didnt plan on lowering the front. Well now i can pick up a 2/3 drop kit for pretty cheap. I am planning on doing the rear myself as that is for sure the easy part, and i already had most of it apart for the GF shackles already. I am either going to do the springs myself or just have them done. But, hopefully some of you guys can remember how they did it on trucks. Thank you in advance.

Josh

Old 08-13-2007, 09:37 PM
I would just go to autozone and buy the spring comp. for about $30 buck. I changed my front struts with one. One slip-up without the tool will lead to big troubles.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by FordScrew24's
Ok guys, i know ill get the common answer to use a spring compressor tool. But, on the show trucks, they took off the spring without it just to show how the guys at home could do it without the tool. I didnt pay too much attention to how they did it because i didnt plan on lowering the front. Well now i can pick up a 2/3 drop kit for pretty cheap. I am planning on doing the rear myself as that is for sure the easy part, and i already had most of it apart for the GF shackles already. I am either going to do the springs myself or just have them done. But, hopefully some of you guys can remember how they did it on trucks. Thank you in advance.

Josh

I see you have a newer truck, and I'm not sure if that front suspension is different than 97-03.

But I didn't use a spring compressor when removing mine, they had no pressure on them to make them want to *pop*

Look at these pictures...it's how I figured mine out...
http://www.baselinesuspensions.com/f150/Dropkit.htm

I just unbolted the upper control arm and pulled it out of its place and the spring fell right out.

Quick Reply: Coil spring removal