Anyone got a Jeep Wrangler???

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone got a Jeep Wrangler???

I know, I'm in the wrong forum...Let me explain.

My father in law picked up an 04 Wrangler TJ Sport a couple months back and after seeing what I've done to my F150, he wants to lift it.

Now, he's like me in the sense that it is his daily driver and wants a more aggressive look, may off road ocassionally if ever.

I've body lifted 2 F150s with the Per. Acc. 3" kit and would imagine a Jeep body lift would be pretty easy. I really don't want to join a Jeep forum just to look for a few recommendations. Here's my questions:

1. I've read that you shouldn't body lift a Jeep more than 2" (which I agree with because everyone I know except my father in law has rolled their Jeep). So, I know PA is the best BL for f150's, would anyone recommend them for a Jeep also?

2. We will probably replace the shocks while were at it. I've got Bilsteins on my F150 and love them, any other recommendations?

3. Does anyone know what size tires he could clear with a 2" BL? He's running 31's right now on the stock 15" rims (I think the rims are OEM but I can't say for sure).

We've got a budget so regearing for large tires isn't really an option. He just wants it to look good, he just retired and he's working on the mother in law to get the hall pass for the mods. I told him I'd look into it.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Basic TJ systems aren't very much because they're just 4 new coils, shocks, pitman arm, bump stop extensions and trac bar relocators. So you should look into an actual lift because pricewise it will be a bit more but not a whole lot when you factor in labor.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:17 PM
i dont know how long you have lived in whitmore lake but 5 years ago i lived th ere and had a 02 yellow tj with 31 bfgs muds it was the only one at the time there

but i believe the 04 you can put a 2 inch coil spring spacer kit on for real cheap and run 33im not positive but got to michiganjeepers.com i belonged there when i had my jeep nice people they are a lot like the people here by the love your truck

Old 06-19-2007, 03:22 PM
I can help you out...stay away from 3 inch body lifts on Wranglers. They look terrible. Best lift for your money is a 2" Budget Boost (coil spacers), 1 inch body lift and 1in motor mount lift. Can easily run a 32 or 33" tire. You could also just do a full 3" suspension for short money with the Black Diamond kit of BDS suspension. If you go over a 33inch tire on a stock geared wrangler, you'll be hurting and needed a regear. If you go to www.jeepsunlimited.com/forum they will have all the info you need.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by tuckersford
i dont know how long you have lived in whitmore lake but 5 years ago i lived th ere and had a 02 yellow tj with 31 bfgs muds it was the only one at the time there

but i believe the 04 you can put a 2 inch coil spring spacer kit on for real cheap and run 33im not positive but got to michiganjeepers.com i belonged there when i had my jeep nice people they are a lot like the people here by the love your truck
I've lived in Whitmore Lake since Nov. 03 - My wife and I had an apartment but then bought a house right in town off of Margaret St, between Polly Market and the Bowling Alley. We love it out here.

I'll check out that Jeep site you were talking about. If he can get by with Coil Spacers and clear 33s, he'll be very happy. He doesn't want to dump a lot of cash into it so that seems like a good alternative.

Thanks

Old 06-21-2007, 01:06 AM
Technical Article Contributor

My dad recently just sold his 99' Jeep Wrangler. It had a one inch body lift with a 2 1/2 inch suspension. With something like that you should be able to clear 33's fine. As for lift i'm not sure what he had on it. I think it was a
ROUGH COUNTRY lift on it.

here is a pic of it.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:44 PM
I have 98 TJ that I've completely built. Although my F150 is largely stock, my TJ has almost nothing left unmodified. I'd avoid most of the retail oriented lift kits you see, and look toward Rubicon Express and OME for good value/quality. Like said above, don't do a 3" body lift, and in fact I'd even avoid the 2" and use a 1.25". Down the road it's the right one regardless of how far you go with mods, even bellyup skids. Jeepsunlimited is decent resource, and there's loads of posts about "which lift kit". Jeepforum is another one for moderate modifications, but there's even more rookies blabbing away on that one.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:16 AM
I actually had a jeep that I traded in for my truck. I had a coil spacer lift and a 1" body lift on it. This allowed me to clear 32x11.5R15 Pro Comp M/T with not problems. In the below picture is my jeep when I had the 2" body lift on it with the spacers and as you can see there is plenty of clearance. You can pick up both the spaces with shocks and body lift for under $400. The install is very easy. Here is a site with a write up to a both installs.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/mods-TJ.html

Old 07-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by pkp190
I actually had a jeep that I traded in for my truck. I had a coil spacer lift and a 1" body lift on it. This allowed me to clear 32x11.5R15 Pro Comp M/T with not problems. In the below picture is my jeep when I had the 2" body lift on it with the spacers and as you can see there is plenty of clearance. You can pick up both the spaces with shocks and body lift for under $400. The install is very easy. Here is a site with a write up to a both installs.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/mods-TJ.html

I was checking these sites out also. Thanks everyone for all the input. I'm going to be seeing him on the 4th and I'll see if he's decided on what he wants to do.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Quick Reply: Anyone got a Jeep Wrangler???