Rear blocks & upper control arm

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear blocks & upper control arm

Hey everyone. I have a quick question, because i am a little confused about something. I think its because im not by my truck and they guys just called about it on the phone, and since i cannot see it, its a little confusing. My truck has been fine so far and i decided to change the 2" rear block to a 4" block. I bought the block, U-bolts, and shocks for the rear, and took it in. In the middle of the install they called and said when trying to align it they had a problem because the upper control arms were loose. I am unsure how the rear change affected the upper control arms. I also was wondering where i can find a set if i am wrong and do need them, because they said they would be about 450, and i was wondering if anyone knew what i would need if i do in fact need them and where i could get them. Thank you everyone!!!

Old 06-04-2007, 12:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They probably mean the ball joints are loose (aka worn out). I'm not sure about your truck, but on the 97-03 trucks, the ball joint and upper control arm are made together. When mine wore out FOrd had to replace the upper control arm and ball joint as a unit. It may be the same on the 04-07's.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Thanks wandell but would that change with only a change to the back, didnt seem to make sense to me, and also, it seemed like it was a large chunk of change to do this, i could be wrong, but i thought almost 500$ seemed steep for this. Thank you again

Old 06-04-2007, 01:45 PM
I would venture to say that after installing the blocks, and working on the truck that the tech may have noticed the ball joints were loose (worn/wearing out) and possibly wanna try and get a little more $$$ out of you since you bought the rear lift yourself and are just having them install it. Little more of a Mark up on the price when they have to order/install the stuff. How many miles are on your truck? Is she a road queen or do you use it off road and drive her hard a sometimes...... that all factors in on how quick that stuff wears out!

Just my guess, good luck, and let us know how it turns out for you,

I dont have any idea where to start looking for replacements as I have not had to cross this bridge YET!

Old 06-04-2007, 02:06 PM
450$, they better be uni-ball arms.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:26 PM
didnt know you needed an alignment after installing rear blocks??? good to know because my blocks are on the way and i wasnt thinking/planning on doing an alignment after the install....

Old 06-06-2007, 02:28 PM
It does not help at all that the front suspension on your truck looked completely topped out. It looks like you have a leveling kit stacked on your fabtech kit. That puts all the suspension component near or at their droop limit and probably causes bad ride characteristics and prematurely warn out parts. Upper ball joints would probably go out first on your truck with that angle on your control arms.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:45 PM
thanks everyone for the info, i found the parts and they are only $150 shipped for both arms and everything, i think me and a friend can install them ourselves and then just get an alignment so it will only be about $225 instead of $450, so half price. Also i know my angles up front are a little extreme, is the only thing i can do to change that is taking off the leveling kit, i really like the extra almost 3" and dont want a nasty rake so it would be a hassle, is there a way to change that angle or fabricate something or no, thank you all in advance!~

Quick Reply: Rear blocks & upper control arm