Problem with AS AAL

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 07:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Problem with AS AAL

Well I received my AAL on wednesday, put it on(what a frickin PITA those round center bolts are), and noticed that the AAL was resting on the leafpack clamps on the factory leafs. I figured that this was normal until I drove it and was ready to take it off after about 5 minutes of squeaking. It also jacked my *** end up 2.5 inches and dropped the front. I called AutoSpring, talked to Kevin, who was very helpful, and we determined that since my truck has the towing package which gives you 3 leafs and an overload, instead of the usual where there are 2 leafs and an overload, the AAL was too long because the clamps were in closer than on the 2 leaf versions. So to make a long story short, I had to take it apart again and cut 3/4 of an inch off each side and now they work perfectly and made my truck look beautiful.

So if any of you are buying an AAL from AutoSpring, check how many leafs you have, or you will be very familiar with taking apart and rebuilding your rear suspension, and getting very good at cutting hard steel.

Last edited by bjp207; 06-02-2007 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI:
I've noticed that 04' and 05' trucks with tow package have 3 leaves and 1 overload. The 06' and 07' trucks with tow package have 2 leaves and 1 overload.
Just a way for Ford to cut cost and use less material. Both ways are still rated to haul the same amount. They just harden the steel different and arch the springs different also.
I work at a ford truck plant where we make the Super Duty trucks and I see this kind of stuff all the time.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:17 PM
Thats interesting...well at least Autospring knows about it now so they can save themselves some headaches. I just can't believe that I was the first person with this problem

Old 06-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much did the front drop after the aal was on??? "weight transfer???"

Old 06-06-2007, 10:06 PM
before I cut it, it was down a solid inch and 3/4, but now its down maybe a half inch, so theres a little rake in it

since my truck is an 04, the springs are squatted anyways, so i think im going to throw another 1/8'' in washers on the AS in the front so I take a little rake out.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, I have been workin 15 hours a day tryin to pay for my new tires, so hopefully ill have some snapped by this weekend

Quick Reply: Problem with AS AAL