Spinnintires you around?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spinnintires you around?

Hey I was looking at your gallery and your truck, you have the exact setup I am looking at adding to my truck. I have a couple of questions for you concerning your setup;

1. Where did you get your AAL? I found a Skyjacker over at Summit Racing that gives 1.5" of lift in the rear, but you state you went with a 3" Skyjacker.

2. Does $132 sound like a reasonable price?

3. What was your main reasoning for keeping your leveling kit on? Would your 35's have fit without the kit?

4. Did you have to go with longer shocks in the rear to accomodate the larger block and the AAL?

5. How do you like the look of your 35's? Just wondering because in the side view shots they actually look kinda small for your truck. I don't want to go with 37's because then I'd have to regear, but I also don't want alot of open wheel well.

I will probably do all my ordering within the next week and want to make sure I get exactly what I need because when I take it into the shop for installation I don't want to be without my truck any longer than I have to be.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:51 PM
Hey man...ok here we go

1. the skyjacker AAL, im pretty sure from from harbor frieght, what i did was i googled a 3" AAL and then searched through the sites and found the one that was cheapest.

2. Yes $132 sounds reasonable, maybe not for a 1.5" only because you will be saggin and need more, i think mine was about $110 but a week later i remember seeing one for about $75 clearance, but cant remember where (sorry).

3. My main reason was height. Keeping the leveling kit i got a 8.5" lift for about $1400 installed, where as the rize or cst 8" (sits about the same) was well over $2,000. I know the ride/setup is not nearly as nice as with the rize or cst, or even fabtech with coilovers, but honestly i was running short on funds and this was the easiest way to do it at the time, and keep the truck still riding and looking nice. Yes my 35's would fit without the leveling kit. Bassically you can get 33"s on a 2wd with level kit, and 35's on a 4wd with level kit, and with a 6" LIFT you can get 35's on either no problem.

4. As of now i dont have the bigger blocks on (the fabtech 6" comes with 2" blocks for the rear and this weekend im changing them to 4" i just need to get longer u-bolts to fit) but once thats done ill let you know. I know the shox will accomadate it, but i dont know if they will top out on large bumps if taken to fast, im going to see. If so then i will reshock, but i dont think it would be a huge problem.

5. Thanks for making me feel my rubber is small. no but really i wanted to do 37's but they will still rub just a little on my truck, i know you can fit them if you do some trimming but i did not want to get into that either, plus not to mention, i didnt have the money to do different wheels at the time meaning i would have had to do 37x12.5x18 which is a very thin tire for how tall it is. This is not a problem functionally but from the front nad rear veiw it seems to bother me asthetically, thus i went with the 35's. I dont have a huge problem with them, but i do have a huge space in my wheel well. In a way i like it because it looks pretty crazy to have all the space, but its close to being a little too much space. The 37's would have lifted me another inch and filled in the space a little better. What i want to do, is do a 3" BL and 37's when i retire, but thats about 2 years away. So in short, 35's fit comfortably, and look fine, but if you add the level kit and aal, you get a little extra space in the wheel well, but not enough to fit the 37's perfectly, its a tight fit, its all preference if you want to trim, go for it, if you want all the lift go for the kits and go with 35's or hey maybe you want a little less lift but a snug look, so do the 35's and 6", its all up to you really. You are also correct, you will need to regear with the 37''s whihc is another reason i didnt do it, thats another ton of money out the window. NOw its regearing bigger wheels and tires and everything and trimming, its just a new can of worms.

Dont forget to think about your speedo being wrong after all this too, may want to look into a superchips, or edge, or x-cal.

Hope this helps, and if you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the info and I really need to decide about the keeping the leveling kit. If I went with the Fabtech with coilovers I could actually get more lift with that then the basic kit correct?

Old 03-09-2007, 03:12 AM
yes, but then you cant use a level kit, you can crank the coils up 2-3" and its a better ride than the basic with level, i would d o tha its just more money

Old 03-09-2007, 12:02 PM
iam a 2wd with 6supension and 3body. iam going to run the 36x13.50 iroks on 20x10 4.50" backspacing wheels. I shouldnt have a problem with the tires.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:48 PM
no you should be fine, but thats because you are running the 3" bl, i mean i would be close with the 36's now, but if i had the extra inch or so i would be fine, i would not worry about it, at the very worst you may rub on complete turns when you are killing a u turn but i dont think even then

Old 03-09-2007, 05:11 PM
I just saw on a site last night that CST makes a 7" kit for our 2WD trucks. A little bit more and oyu have to buy separate shocks for the rear, but that may be an option.