Rear Shackle 2" Lower Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Shackle 2" Lower Problems?

I am considering a DJM Rear Shackle to lower my 4x2 King Ranch so the truck is closer to level.

I have the factory 20" wheels on the truck now, but I am planning to add 22" in the near future. I like the look of Wandell's 305/45/22 tires and they are about a 1/2 to 3/4" bigger than the stock 20" tires, but I still think there will be plenty of room in the back.

I found a picture of a truck on this forum which has the rear shackles, but nothing that has the details on how it works or any of the problems associated with lowering just the back of an otherwise stock truck.

1. Do the new shackles replace the ones that are on the truck now or are the added as a 2" extension on top of them?

2. Will it affect the shocks or the exhaust on the truck? I just added true dual Magna Flow exhaust, but it looks like I have at least three inches between the bottom of the piping and the top of the rear axle.

3. Are there any problems with the alignment of the drive shaft after lowering just the back of the truck by two inches?

4. Is there a better (easier or cheaper) way to lower the back of a 4x2 truck?

Thanks,

KR-Tx

Old 10-08-2006, 11:30 PM
I am interested in doing this too. Only with a 4x4.

Old 10-08-2006, 11:58 PM
Talking Been There, Done That

Hi KR-Texas,

I did a Bell tech 2-1/2 inch drop, so low that you had to bend over the pickup bed seam, or you will dent the bed (I did) The biggest problem was it thru the driveshaft / pinion angle off, so bad that the truck vibrated real bad between 30 to 45 mph, but never really went away. Took em off and returned them. Then bought another Mfgr's set of 2 inch drop shackles. (both sets are easy to install, with air tools & floor jack) Same thing, vibrations. took em off and returned them. Folks say the only ones that work are G-Force Shackles, because they come with a 6degree shim to place under the leaf springs, to re-align the driveshaft / pinion angle. Good luck, if you find g-force, let me know where & how much!!!

PS, I did the same thing on my 2001, SCrew with no problem at all.
I need to do something, I can't stand the a$$ end up in the air 3 inches

Old 10-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by KR-Texas
I am considering a DJM Rear Shackle to lower my 4x2 King Ranch so the truck is closer to level.

I have the factory 20" wheels on the truck now, but I am planning to add 22" in the near future. I like the look of Wandell's 305/45/22 tires and they are about a 1/2 to 3/4" bigger than the stock 20" tires, but I still think there will be plenty of room in the back.

I found a picture of a truck on this forum which has the rear shackles, but nothing that has the details on how it works or any of the problems associated with lowering just the back of an otherwise stock truck.

1. Do the new shackles replace the ones that are on the truck now or are the added as a 2" extension on top of them?

2. Will it affect the shocks or the exhaust on the truck? I just added true dual Magna Flow exhaust, but it looks like I have at least three inches between the bottom of the piping and the top of the rear axle.

3. Are there any problems with the alignment of the drive shaft after lowering just the back of the truck by two inches?

4. Is there a better (easier or cheaper) way to lower the back of a 4x2 truck?

Thanks,

KR-Tx
I am conbsidering this as well, though I'm looking at the 2" Ground Force kit.

Sorry I don't know much about tire sizes and what not.

1) The new shackles replace the one on your truck now.

2) The new shackles should not affect the shocks or the exhaust at all.

3) The ground force shackles come w/ shims that go between each bar of the leaf springs but after doing some research I don't think on a 4x2 they will be needed.

4) Some people suggest doing things like removing bars from the leaf spring but this will make the truck ride like $h!+ in my experience. The shackle kits are pretty cheap already. I think the most expensive one I have seen was like $110, the cheapest being $49. It was recommended to me to get the one that had graphite impreganted polyurethane bushings, so far I have not found any that list the graphite characteristic.

Originally Posted by Montana Bronco
I am interested in doing this too. Only with a 4x4.

I thick it works pretty much works the same except maybe for the shims.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by XTRUKY
Hi KR-Texas,

I did a Bell tech 2-1/2 inch drop, so low that you had to bend over the pickup bed seam, or you will dent the bed (I did) The biggest problem was it thru the driveshaft / pinion angle off, so bad that the truck vibrated real bad between 30 to 45 mph, but never really went away. Took em off and returned them. Then bought another Mfgr's set of 2 inch drop shackles. (both sets are easy to install, with air tools & floor jack) Same thing, vibrations. took em off and returned them. Folks say the only ones that work are G-Force Shackles, because they come with a 6degree shim to place under the leaf springs, to re-align the driveshaft / pinion angle. Good luck, if you find g-force, let me know where & how much!!!

PS, I did the same thing on my 2001, SCrew with no problem at all.
I need to do something, I can't stand the a$$ end up in the air 3 inches
Hum... good info about the pinion angle! I plan on buying the Ground Force for this website... http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/s...nd_force15.htm

Old 10-09-2006, 03:11 AM
I plan to remove the 2" blocks in my U bolts, luckally I wont need to buy shackles or anything, 100% free mod

Old 10-09-2006, 09:59 AM
Talking removing the 2" blocks only works on 4x4

I heard it won't help a 4x2
is this true or not

I have a 4x2 with the a$$ in the air, I heard removing the 2" blocks will only work on 4x4

Trending Topics

Old 10-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Xtrucky,

I looked under my 4x2 truck and there is only a very small block. It might be a 1/2" tall, but it is not 2". This is why we cannot remove it on our trucks to level it out.

I am going to take a look at the G-Force kit because I do not want to have problems with drive shaft vibrations. I can do most of the work myself, as the weather here in Texas is finally starting to cool down a bit and working in my garage is not so bad... :o

On another note, I ordered my Dark Copper Snuglid F2 and Bedrug last week, so my truck is going to start looking more and more like yours...

KR-Tx

Old 10-11-2006, 06:01 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
4x4s can remove the 2" block. That 1/4" block you are referring to is a driveline shim, and shouldnot be removed. It can be replaced for a different degree as i did when i lowered my truck.

now then dropping 2" you shouldnt need new shocks. and the only differnce you will notice with replacement shackles is the rear will feel a little more loose in the back as far as ride quality. I can explain why later i have to run to class.

and darren, boooyah 1300 posts
-Patrick

Old 10-12-2006, 12:04 AM
I found this web site which has step by step instructions on how to put the Ground Force leveling kit on a F150. The article is very informative and it looks like you can do the whole job for under $100 if you do not mind turning a wrench for yourself.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...ring/index.php

If anyone has done this kit on a late model truck, I would be interested to know if they are having the vibrations problems associated with the other kits.

KR-Tx

Old 10-12-2006, 03:07 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by KR-Texas
If anyone has done this kit on a late model truck, I would be interested to know if they are having the vibrations problems associated with the other kits.

KR-Tx
You should not have any vibrations after shackle install, especailly since this GF kit comes with driveline shims as i previously mention. Alot of ppl have gotten away without shims, but it never will hurt to put them in. When i did my 3" hanger drop on my 03, the vibrations were unreal. I put in 6* shims and it solved everything.
-Patrick

Quick Reply: Rear Shackle 2" Lower Problems?