Verifying info for lower ball joint replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Verifying info for lower ball joint replacement

I've replaced enough ball joints in stick axles that I assume this should be a relatively easy project. I'm a little uncertain about the whole IFS front susp. though. According to the Haynes manual, the torsion bars need to be removed to do this. Sorry, let me stop first and give the vehicle info:

1999 Lincoln Navigator
5.4 DOHC
4X4

It looks to me and from searching through all the helpful threads on here that all I should have to do is, support the lower control arm with a jack, remove the TRE from the knuckle, remove the upper ball joint from the knuckle, remove the cv nut from the hub and remove the knuckle to gain access to the lower ball joint.

Do I need to remove the CV shaft and if I do, does it simply pop out of the diff like a front wheel drive car does? I have a ball joint puller and the new MOOG parts to swap in, so it shouldn't be a big deal. Normally I would replace the uppers as well, but they were recently replaced before I purchased the truck.

I do appreciate the help. I will be starting this project tomorrow after work. I've got the truck on stands and the front wheels off just to take a peak at what I was going to be in for with the IFS.

Thanks again,

Dan

Old 09-22-2006, 11:09 AM
TTT

Does anyone know if I'm missing something or am I all set?

Old 09-22-2006, 08:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is the way I do balljoints. As for the axleshaft I just tie it up out of the way, grab a big hammer and swing away. If you want, the axle just pops out.

Old 09-25-2006, 09:51 AM
Thanks for verifying my info. I do greatly appreciate it. I haven't started this project yet as the weather did not cooperate this weekend. I will be getting started this afternoon when I get home from work.

Thanks again!

Old 09-25-2006, 02:37 PM
raise vehical, take off tire... brakes stuff... remove axel nut tie rod and the lower is cake walk. slap it all back together and bam your done.

Quick Reply: Verifying info for lower ball joint replacement