3.5/5 drop kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.5/5 drop kit

i am about to order some wheels and considering a drop kit to go along with the new look. i am thinking about a 3.5/5 lowering kit and i am wondering how is the instal of a drop kit. it includes control arms, flip kit, and shackles. Would this be an easy instal for myself? I dont relly have that much experience dealing with this, so would bringing to a shop be the best way to go? Aslo, would I have any clearance problems with the new rims? They are the 2006 HD 22's with factory tires. Not sure of the tire size. Do you think any rubbing would occur with this drop? Thanks

Last edited by achap; 09-20-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:47 PM
anyone?

Last edited by achap; 09-20-2006 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:31 PM
well if you dont have that much experience that id say have someone else do it cause you dont want to get in there and start unbolting and taking out stuff that you dont know what it is. Its not that hard to install a drop kit, its just a time consuming process, but its best to have 2 people do it. as far a clearance issues with HD 22s, you'll most likley be tuckin some tire once its said and done, and you know once you install a drop the springs settle out so that 3.5 in the front will prolly come down to almost a 4.

Old 09-13-2006, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by achap
anyone?
Whats going on?
It helps when your profile contains the basic information about your truck so your question can be answered with fact based information instead of a guess.

Also, without all the information about your project, it is just a guess.

Tire size is a key factor....

If you are in unfamiliar territory, have someone else install it.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:11 PM
sorry about the lack of information. I have a 2004 reg cab STX. As far as tucking some tire...i would love that. with the HD 22's. Also thinking about some 24" rims and wondering about clearance issues also...but mainly leaning tword the HD 22's b/c i do some offroad driving...just gravel/rock roads. But i also read that using a DJM lowering kit, which is the one i want, it is recommended to replace the back shocks too. Is there anything else i am overlooking. with my suspension be stable...is DJM a good brand to go with? if not, whats the best one? Anything lower than that...i want to get as close to the ground as possible without bags or body drop.

Last edited by achap; 09-18-2006 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:23 PM
DJM is a reputable company and makes quality stuff. But it would be the smart thing to do by replacing the shock with drop shocks

Old 09-19-2006, 06:08 PM
great. thanks

Trending Topics

Old 09-20-2006, 04:21 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
make sure you have driveline shims and a camber kit. Id replace the shocks all the way around. You sure the kit has flip kit and shackles? maybe the shackle is actually a 1" lift shackle. b.c i thought flip axle is good for 6" drop.

Old 09-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
make sure you have driveline shims and a camber kit. Id replace the shocks all the way around. You sure the kit has flip kit and shackles? maybe the shackle is actually a 1" lift shackle. b.c i thought flip axle is good for 6" drop.
so what does driveline shims and a camber kit do? what are they for? Im very new to this. But im glad u did mention it b/c this is the type of stuff I need to know before I do this. Yes, its a 1" lift shackle

Old 09-20-2006, 04:39 PM
Global Moderator &

this is my camber kit

basically its connets the frame to the upper A arm, and its a bolt mounted with an off-set washer. There is a vertical slot there, so when the go to align it, and they roll that bolt around it controls how high or low it goes in that slot. Factory there is just a piece of metal there that holds alignement in place.

this is my shims

(factory on left new on right)

Factory still installed after drop

New ones after drop

(note, first pic is of the drivers side, and second is passenger side)

Notice how it keeps the top part of the axle flat and level to the ground? without driveline shims, you get nasty vibrations b.c when you accelerate, the torque actually trys to level the leafs out, and you get a wavy effect. Very bad for the axle and drive shaft without them

Since you are only lifting 1" you probably dont need shims, if anything just turn your factory ones around 180* ive been told factory ones are 1 degree shims. Im using 6 degree shims
-Patrick

Last edited by Patman; 09-20-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by achap
so what does driveline shims and a camber kit do? what are they for? Im very new to this. But im glad u did mention it b/c this is the type of stuff I need to know before I do this. Yes, its a 1" lift shackle
Shims realign your differential and the camber kit realigns the front wheels. After the drop, your differential will be pitched too high and your wheels will be toed in.

Old 09-20-2006, 04:45 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by sbull
Shims realign your differential and the camber kit realigns the front wheels. After the drop, your differential will be pitched too high and your wheels will be toed in.
incorrect you cannot adjust toe in or toe out on a fixed rear axle. technically you change your caster angle and thats it. but thats for lack of better definition.

Old 09-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
incorrect you cannot adjust toe in or toe out on a fixed rear axle. technically you change your caster angle and thats it. but thats for lack of better definition.
thanks for the info and pics, seems like a lot of work, too much for myself anyhow...i guess ill be bringing into a shop when ready. going to go for a few other mods first

Old 09-20-2006, 04:56 PM
Global Moderator &

its not that bad really. I did my truck with no previous experience, and did it on jack stands at a friends house with basic hand tools.

and i can find a thread about how i did my front

Old 10-07-2006, 02:08 AM
I'm doing a 2007 HD F-150 I was wondering do you need to c-notch the frame for the DJM 3.5 and 5 drop? Thx

Quick Reply: 3.5/5 drop kit