After lift is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After lift is this normal?

After i had the daystar 2.5 lift in the front and the 1.5 add-a-leaf in the rear with 18x10 mt with 325/60 18 terra grapplers installed it seems to be alot stiffer ride and the steering wheel has a slight chimmy to it when i take my hands of it but it still rides straight. when my hands are on it i don't really feel it. I am just wondering if this is all normal?

Old 06-19-2006, 09:51 AM
post some pics man

Old 06-19-2006, 09:53 AM
Suspended
Make sure the tires are balanced perfect, I had a set of Nitto TGs that wouldn't balance.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:01 AM
I had the balance checked and it was dead on. It isn't a hoping feeling and u don't feel it in the truck it is just the steering wheel has a little shimmy to it when u let it go. Someone told me it was just from the tires and the way the lugs hit the ground a little bit of shimmy in the steering was normal, u can't feel it when u are holding the steering wheel and the truck rides smooth as all get out............................................... .................................................. ...

Old 06-19-2006, 11:13 AM
^^^^ that is true of a mud tire but not an all terrain like a terra grappler they are known for riding very smooth my buddy has them. i have the mud grapplers and i dont even get a shimmy. u might need a front end alignment. or u have a bad tire.

Old 06-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Ok well i am going back to the ones that did the install they are saying the same thing. Front tires need better balancing or bad tire, can't hurt too have it double checked.

Old 06-20-2006, 06:57 PM
Ok i went back and they rebalanced them. When i left and got up too 55 miles per hour and up it still has a slight shimmy to it. Now what any one have any ideas to what i should do. They drove it when i got there and said they went 55 and didn't feel anything. They also said that with ford just like toyota have a rack and pinion steering wich is not much for steering allready what ever that ment. I told them i had 33x12.5 on a 15x10 rim on my 95 chevy i had before i bought this and had no problem and they said it is 2 different trucks. Any ideas too what it might be? It is not the balance because i even sat and watched them do it so i knew they where getting it dead on. I would have taken it back but when i left they where closing.

Old 06-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by insayn69
Ok i went back and they rebalanced them. When i left and got up too 55 miles per hour and up it still has a slight shimmy to it. Now what any one have any ideas to what i should do. They drove it when i got there and said they went 55 and didn't feel anything. They also said that with ford just like toyota have a rack and pinion steering wich is not much for steering allready what ever that ment. I told them i had 33x12.5 on a 15x10 rim on my 95 chevy i had before i bought this and had no problem and they said it is 2 different trucks. Any ideas too what it might be? It is not the balance because i even sat and watched them do it so i knew they where getting it dead on. I would have taken it back but when i left they where closing.
the fact that they told u they didnt feel it and still rebalanced the tires tells u they are full of it. u might just have a tire that just wont balance it happens u get a bad tire or 2 out of a batch. u should just demand a new tire. what i would do is check and see how much wieght are on the rims from them balancing them. look for something obvious. if u have on wheel with alot of wieghts in one spot or wieghts all over the wheel then u know something is wrong with that tire and they had a hard time balancing it. or the rim could be out of round have a manufacturing defect. i have 37's and i have only and ounce or two on each wheel. nitto and toyo are made so they balance very well no heavy spots.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:22 PM
it sounds normal to me. this is one of the reasons people get steering stabilizers with big tires. they are big tires and wheels and the leveling kit will cause the geometry of the front end to be slightly off. my truck has done the same thing since the day i put the 35's on it.

if you can't live with it then get a stabilizer shock on it.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:08 PM
maybe but my 37's dont evn slightly pulse the wheel

Old 06-20-2006, 10:24 PM
Well i took my girlfriend out for a long drive where i could drive at all different sppeds and she said she don't feel any fibration or anything, she said it is very smooth rideing and it is. When my hand is touching the steering wheel i don't feel anything it is just when i let go of the steering wheel at the speeds above 50 mph i can see it move a little side to side but it stays driving straight as an arrow. I am beggining to think it is just when u are going that fast and the little bumps in the road and things like that without your hand on the steering wheel u see that little bit of movement. I DON'T DRIVE WITHOUT HOLDING THE STEERING WHEEL LOL. I JUST DID THAT WHEN I FIRST GOT IT TOO MAKE SURE THAT THE ALINEMENT WAS GOOD. It does ride smooth and when my hand is on the wheel like i said i don't feel any movement and i think if it where a bad tire or a balancing thing u would feel it in the ride of the truck, the whole truck would have some kind of vibration.

Last edited by insayn69; 06-20-2006 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:06 PM
it sounds like you don't actually have a problem on your hands. i would leave it where it's at.

Old 06-20-2006, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by allrsdup
maybe but my 37's dont evn slightly pulse the wheel
you have an actual lift kit installed on your truck so i'm wondering if that makes a difference.

my torsion bars are cranked as far as they'll go. when i go over bumps the steering wheel does bounce back and forth.

Old 06-21-2006, 12:43 AM
Suspended
How much 'moving' are you actually getting in the steering wheel? It sounds like its nothing and you don't have a problem, of course the steering wheel is going to move slightly at highway speeds.

Old 06-21-2006, 06:21 PM
It don't move much at all. I think it is just when u buy something new then have things done too it u look for things alot harder. I think if someone else where to drive it they would not even notice it. I just drove in my brothers 2006 with his stock tires and it does the same thing. Sorry too bother u all with it, also thanks for responding. It drives sweet!!!! LOVE IT!!

Quick Reply: After lift is this normal?