Ball joint question!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ball joint question!!!!

I am about to install a Lowering kit. Would it be in my best intrest to go ahead and change the ball joints? Keep in mind, the truck is a '98 F-150 4x2. Is the Ball joint problem a 4x4 specific problem or do all of these F-150's have the same problem? Lowering kit should be here end of this week 3-10-06. Would like to know before it gets here so I can get any and all parts before install, which I plan to do myself.

Scotty

Old 03-07-2006, 07:29 PM
If it had over 50,000 miles on it and you had it torn apart, I think it would be a good idea. Save you time later, because they will have to be replaced. Make sure you get ball joints that are greasable as well as camber kits for both sides on the upper control arm. Each upper arm takes two kits. They take place of the stock hardware and will cost about $100.00 to have an alignment shop do this when they do the alignment.

Old 03-07-2006, 09:49 PM
DONT wait to have them replaced ! my truck(98 f150 4x4) just gite out of the shop for worn out ball joints ! OUCH!!! i have to help my dad pay for them and it wasn't cheap at all!!! i dont know anything about the lowering kit, but i can tell u to not wait till they wear out!! well just thought i would share the 411!! hope ur truck project goes well!!

Old 03-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Ball Joints

I lowered my '97 truck 4/5 and I can definately recommend doing the ball joints while you have it torn apart. The "greaseless" one's from Ford are crap. I put in lifetime warranty Moog one's on mine. The factory one's will not hold up. Always a good call to just do it while your in there. Also when you lower something, even with the proper alignment, the ball joint is under more stress. I would say check out my truck but I can never find it on this sites damn photo gallery. See it at my Car Clubs web site (click and go). Good luck.

Old 03-09-2006, 09:13 PM
A cam kit cost about 11 bucks from ford F65z-3b236-bb you need 4
F65z-3c178-aa you need 4 also you can install them in just a few hour just do one at a time and go get an alignment when your done save your money for something else.

Old 03-09-2006, 09:43 PM
Good Call

Oh yah, that reminds me what RoushRich mentioned is good advice too. Depending on your kit you should pick up a Camber kit to correct your alignement when your done. Get it aligned as soon as possible. The shocks you will get with your kit will likely be crap, they all are for lowering kits. The only one I can recommend is the Toxic. I have tried them all and none of them are fantanstic like a Bilstein but atleast they are cheap and come with a lifetime warranty.

Old 03-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Talking

Thanks for the Replys all. I still have not received lowering kit. Waiting on rear leafs, supposedly. I am getting real antsi here. I may cancel my order and go another route if I don't hear something soon.

Scotty

Quick Reply: Ball joint question!!!!