Front End, Thump, Clunk, Clank

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front End, Thump, Clunk, Clank

I know this topic has been covered alot but i stall can't find the problem.
I have a 2001 F150 Super Cab. There are 47,000 miles on it and i have a clanking or clunking noise coming from the front passenger wheel. I have replaced the Inner and Outer tie rods, sway arm bushings, sway arm links, and indler arm on that side. I have also torqued the bottom shock bolt which went maybe 1/2 turn. When i drive over an area where they have patched the road it is most noticeable and it feels like the whole tire is gonna come off. Does anyone have any other areas I should check?

Old 10-09-2005, 09:28 PM
Have you checked the nuts on the front spindles or maybe the brake calipers?

Old 10-09-2005, 09:41 PM
yes, the caliper pins were also repacked with grease, sounds like metal on metal!

Old 10-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by bmgnitro
yes, the caliper pins were also repacked with grease, sounds like metal on metal!
somone must have so ideas, anybody!!!!

Old 10-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Balljoint maybe? Easy to check, and the lower can make some noise like this. Not too bad to replace either.

Old 10-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Suspended
When i drive over an area where they have patched the road it is most noticeable and it feels like the whole tire is gonna come off.
Check both your upper and lower balljoints. If they are bad, you are very correct in the above statement. If left alone, thats what just may happen.

Old 10-12-2005, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by bigdaddyII
Check both your upper and lower balljoints. If they are bad, you are very correct in the above statement. If left alone, thats what just may happen.
I have had them checked, maybe i will get a second opinion.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:49 PM
I have had them checked, maybe i will get a second opinion.
I checked the ball joints last night, doesn't seem to be any play.
I guess it is making more of a "Klucking" sound.
I have been to 2 dealer and one small shop and they say it is all tight, but yet this noise is loud enough to know something is still wrong
What's Next?????????

Old 10-15-2005, 08:08 PM
same thing drove me crazy. The upper ball joint was shot. To check it, jack up the truck so the wheel is of the ground. jack from the frame so you don't bind any suspension parts. A floor jack up front on the lower frame under the front diff works great. now try and move the wheel top to bottom and in and out. if its loose then you have a worn part in there. check both sides.

Old 10-15-2005, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by lees99f150
same thing drove me crazy. The upper ball joint was shot. To check it, jack up the truck so the wheel is of the ground. jack from the frame so you don't bind any suspension parts. A floor jack up front on the lower frame under the front diff works great. now try and move the wheel top to bottom and in and out. if its loose then you have a worn part in there. check both sides.
There is some play left to right, but none top to bottom, is that still symptoms of a bad ball joint?

Old 10-15-2005, 09:23 PM
There is some play left to right, but none top to bottom, is that still symptoms of a bad ball joint?
left to right would be in the steering linkage. a worn tie rod end, idler arm or pitman arm. see if you can isolate it. With the truck on the ground and the engine off, have someone move the steering wheel back and forth while looking at all the linkage for excessive movement in the joints and pivots.

Old 10-15-2005, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by lees99f150
left to right would be in the steering linkage. a worn tie rod end, idler arm or pitman arm. see if you can isolate it. With the truck on the ground and the engine off, have someone move the steering wheel back and forth while looking at all the linkage for excessive movement in the joints and pivots.
not to familar with pitman arms, is there one on the passenger side? I had tie rod ends replaced 1 month ago thought it would take care of the left to right play.

Old 10-15-2005, 09:43 PM
I had similar problem...turned out I had to replace my steering column. Try this. Truck idling...jerk steering wheel back and forth quickly juat a little. Does it sound like that?

Old 10-16-2005, 10:51 AM
It's not suspension related, but have you checked your motor mounts?

Old 10-16-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by Nbr6car
It's not suspension related, but have you checked your motor mounts?
I believe it is suspension related, when i hit a manhole or a bump with the drivers side it it fine, bu with the passenger side it's a different story.
Will a bad pitman arm make a noise on the passenger side??

Quick Reply: Front End, Thump, Clunk, Clank