3" custom lift.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3" custom lift.

i was looking at the skyjacker lift for the 04-05;s.

can't I make a 1 7/8" spacer for the front and acheive the smae thing?

add a leaf in the back.

Old 08-02-2005, 10:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, you don't have to make a spacer. Several companies (Daystar, Autospring, Rev Tek, Skyjacker, etc) make spacers/leveling kits for 04-05 F-150's for around $100. You can get leveling kits up to 2.5 inches. You can add a taller lift block or add-a-leaf in the back if you want.

Old 08-03-2005, 01:10 PM
Suspended
I've looked a lot into different options because I feel like the 3" skyjacker is overpriced. The coilovers are what cost so much. That is the difference. I thought of a leveling kit and add a leafs, but after reading some posts and thinking on it a bit, I decided I am going to buy the 3" kit soon w/ the coilovers. It is not supposed to cause any bad angles on anything and should give your ride the proper amount of firmness all the way around while still mostly feeling that good smooth stock ride. I think the jury is still out on leveling kits for the long term, plus I think the coilover will look better overall up front. A lot of guys on here are saying they wished they had gotten the 3" skyjacker kit w/ coilovers instead of just the spacers. Look at some of the pics on here that have the 3" skyjacker, it looks a lot better and a lot different than a leveling kit. Plus, if you put on a leveling kit AND add a leafs, your rear is still going to sit 1.5-2" higher than the front.

Old 08-03-2005, 01:34 PM
My 3" skyjacker kit is on it's way. I'll let you know how mine goes and post some pics up after. I like the look of it because the rear is still higher than the back. Don't really like the perfectly level look.

Old 08-04-2005, 09:05 PM
I know that companies make spacers but I can make them for free...and the only difference in the level kit and the skyjacker is the coilover...no other parts for the front so it dont matter if you lift with spacers 3" or the coil, both do the same. then just pop an add a leaf in the back...3" on the cheap...

Old 08-05-2005, 02:10 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by f150newf
I know that companies make spacers but I can make them for free...and the only difference in the level kit and the skyjacker is the coilover...no other parts for the front so it dont matter if you lift with spacers 3" or the coil, both do the same. then just pop an add a leaf in the back...3" on the cheap...
I'm no technician or mechanic, but I have suspicions about a 3" spacer because 1) there's only 1 on the market I know of and that's the truxxx one I think, the rest are 2.5" max, and 2) I am not sure about any additional stress on parts or it allows more possibility for wrong angles on things, stuff like that when you go to 3" for a spacer. Seems like a mechanic/installer told me a couple of months ago that they didn't make 3" spacers for these trucks and for those reasons I just described. 3) the coilover will slightly firm up your front end and maybe even give you a bit better ride quality, either way it would be different than the spacer. I think it would be better.

But believe me, I try to get out of things the cheap way, especially when the parts prices are jacked up like they are w/ all these lift kits, but I've decided to just do it right and get the skyjacker kit. I like the pics I've seen on here w/ it.

Old 08-07-2005, 07:57 AM
well, I will do the 2.5" and not screw with the rear. we are building the spacers, not a big deal..got the material that is plenty strong so breakin is not an issue. Im going to be getting 265/70/17 timberline MT tires. I do alot of hway driving but hunt, fish camp, off road...so I want a tire thats not super big, but a little bigger than I have now, and offers way more grip.

these fit the bill and are cheap to boot.

Old 08-07-2005, 02:34 PM
I have the Day Star 2.5" leveling kit on my 05 FX4 for a few months now. I have had the front end aligned twice but still notice uneven tire ware. I am now going to do what I should have done in the first place and get the 6" SkyJacker with rear springs. I hope you have better luck with it than I did.

Old 09-03-2005, 12:19 PM
Well I got em built now just got to intsall....I will probably just keep this setup because I dont want anything too big...but this will set off the looks of the truck compared to other fords around.

Old 09-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by f150newf
Well I got em built now just got to intsall....I will probably just keep this setup because I dont want anything too big...but this will set off the looks of the truck compared to other fords around.
So- You built 3" spacers? can you post some pics of the spacers and the truck installed.
Thanks
TCC-

Old 09-04-2005, 04:24 PM
No I built 2 1/2 inch spacers after...dont want to **** around with the back of the truck....I will get pics of the instal and spacers...they look just like the autosprings with a few rough edges where we cut the circles out...all in all they will be fine tho. If I keep the truck after the 2 year lease is up which I want to do..im going with the 3" setup...as said before the only thing the 3 inch sky jacker has is the springs and shocks so this should be no different. but i will get pics.

Old 09-05-2005, 06:23 PM
I'm going with the 3" Skyjacker! I was gettin the Daystar but I think the S.J. will be better in the long run!

Old 09-05-2005, 06:38 PM
I agree if I was buying a lift i would just get the s.j. but since I built the front lift..im good to go with that for now.

Quick Reply: 3" custom lift.