Front end vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front end vibration

My '99 F150 4x4 just got new tires a few weeks back. For some reason, last week I noticed a slight vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds, (55-70mph). It also fades to the right a little if I let go of the wheel and the vibration is gone. I took it back to Discount for re-balancing a couple days ago. It didn't fix a thing. I had 235/70R16 street tires and went to 285/75R16 BFG all terrain ta/ko's. It also has new brakes all the way around, which those seem to be working fine. I tried reading up on wheel bearings, but couldn't find anything. I'm thinking the alignment may be off. Is there anything else I can check at home? The $$$ is really tight right now, so I want to know what it could be before the shop spends hours of labor searching out the problem.

Thanks,

Bryan

Old 02-25-2004, 10:28 PM
check your tire pressures. if you've been runnin them low (15 psi or somethin) on the highway, the inner bead could disintegrate a litle, causing some of the rubber to throw off the balance in your wheels. this has happened to me, and i had vibrations at 55 and 80 km/h. might be it, might not be, but its somethin to check.

Old 02-26-2004, 12:00 AM
make sure they did a dynamic balance. a lot of places do a static balance to save time but does not balance the wheel for lateral vibration.

Quick Reply: Front end vibration