Lowering 4x4 remove lift block question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lowering 4x4 remove lift block question

I'm thinking hard about lowing my 2002 4x4 supercrew. I would like to drop it 2". I want to drop it not for looks, but because the height of the bed is too high when I'm loading heavy materials.

I've seen that belltech makes a 2-4" drop kit for 4x4's that includes drop shackles for the rear. My 2002 rear axle has factory lift blocks between the axle and leaf spring.

Is it possible to just remove the factory lift blocks on the rear axle? Do the 4x2's have smaller lift blocks? Could I swap the blocks (axle position holder) from a 4x2 to my 4x4 to drop the rear?

On the front, I think I can get a 1-2" drop out of the torsion springs.

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-30-2003, 10:01 AM
4x2s do not have blocks. You could try removing the block and adjusting your torsion bars. If that works but you need more rear drop, you could then add a lowering shackle. If all of this doesn't do the trick, you could look at Bell Tech's 3/4 drop or Ground Force's 2/4 drop for 4-wheel drive trucks. These kits include new torsion keys for the front and shackles & hangers for the rear. There are lots of guys who have done this. Here's a link to another site. Just filter search on lowered 4x4s.

http://ftw.truckmoxie.com/galleries.ten

Old 12-30-2003, 10:07 AM
Robadele,
I'm asking the same question since I want to lower my bed 2". I had a leaf added to the rear springs which raised the bed too much. Removing the lift blocks should get me back to stock height.

I talked to two suspension shops, and both suggested removing the lift blocks and leaving shackles alone. I looked at a 2wd and see that they just rest the leaf springs on the axle plate. I think this will be the cheapest way for you (and me) to get a 2" rear drop. I'm not sure if it's the easiest way.

The 2wd has no lift blocks. You'll need to buy the 2wd U-bolts since your 4wd bolts will be 2" too long.

Of course, dropping your front-end 2" will be simple by adjusting your torsion bars. You'll probably need an alignment after.

Quick Reply: Lowering 4x4 remove lift block question