4" vs 6"

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 04:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 4" vs 6"

is there any photos where i can somewhat look at the difference between 4" and a 6" lift?

i have been thinking 4" but...then again these rigs are not LOWRIDERS

i was also told i couldn't get 35s under my truck with only a 4" lift....not sure because a 315/70/16 ( i read) can fit on a 4" lift.

any way they said the price was about the same to 6"....

now to convince my wife

any of you guys like 4 or 6 for any particular reasons?

dave

Old 11-25-2003, 09:38 AM
I would say it's really personal preference, or if you think you'll need 6" over 4", it's subjective (IMO).

You should be able to get 35's on there with a 4" lift...

Old 11-25-2003, 01:01 PM
I think you can get 35s on there with a 4" lift. It really depends on the width of your wheel and the backspacing more than 2" of lift. I went with 4" suspension cause I have a thing with any more than that. Suspension geometry, etc, etc...So that's why I did a combo to get 6" -

Mike

Old 11-25-2003, 02:05 PM
hey mike

nice truck man

dave

Old 11-25-2003, 07:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen several trucks running 35's with a 4 inch lift. Heck, a friend of mine had 35's on his 99 with a 3 inch body lift. Personally I would go with either the 5 inch RCD lift or the 6 inch Fabtech, because I feel they are the two best lifts for 97-03 F-150's. I am basing this on feedback from members here and at FTW since I don't have a suspension lift. I'd probably go with the one I could get the best deal on. Keep in mind the RCD comes with better shocks (Bilsteins) than the Fabtech lift.

Old 12-01-2003, 03:14 AM
Personally I would never recommend the fabtech lift to anyone cuz they are crappy street only lifts and their shocks are absolute *****. Go with the RCD if anything and the better bilsteins.

Old 12-01-2003, 08:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm, that's the first negative comment I've heard about the Fabtech lift. THere seem to be a lot of members here and at FTW that are very happy with their Fabtech's.

Old 12-01-2003, 12:41 PM
this is strange

Originally posted by Crazy4Fords
Personally I would never recommend the fabtech lift to anyone cuz they are crappy street only lifts and their shocks are absolute *****. Go with the RCD if anything and the better bilsteins.
i found this odd....since Crazy4Fords has a LOWERED 4X2

dave

Last edited by avirtualbeing; 12-01-2003 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:06 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had two main driving factors that pushed me to a 4".

1) I already had 305/70's and didn't want to buy new tires just to match the lift. My 305's I knew would look great with a 4" but would look way too small if I went 6".

2) If you go 6", you are limited on what shocks you can run. Matter of fact (someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not positive) The only 6" out there is the Fabtech and you can only use their shocks. With a 4" you can use Rancho, Edelbrock, or whoever. I wanted the Edelbrock Extreme Travel shocks and that's what I got...and they are friggin awesome.

I also shopped around and actually looked at the different kits for our trucks and IMO, the Rancho seemed the absolute best. Just the way it was made ooozed quality. Installation and fit was bar none, top notch. I went with Rancho and have never looked back.

As a side note, talked to RCD when I was shopping around and their kit comes out to 4" on a SuperCrew...for what ever reason.

Old 12-02-2003, 04:20 PM
Ok so I have a 6" RCD suspension lift on my 2003 King Ranch f-150 supercrew. Running 35's under it. My good friend (goodyear store manager) has the same lift on his f-150 SC and a couple other friends for that matter. None of us have had any problems with the RCD lift and it has been used for more then just looks. I feel that the RCD lift is a very good lift and if your going to lift it might as well go all out and take the 6" over the 4".

Old 12-02-2003, 04:27 PM
hey Mrs.Truck

which good years do you have under there?

i have seriously been looking at the GY muds...over the BFgoodrich.

nice tires...both actually

oh...my mother will be visiting for a while..is the 6" harder to climb into than the 4"she already complains w/no LIFT!!

is there any way for her to climb in easier? i have nerf bar but..i don't think she really understands how to climb in...just imagine with the lift..LOL

my son does fine...hehe

dave

Old 12-02-2003, 04:31 PM
id go with a 6 inch and 35's. That would look sweet

Old 12-02-2003, 04:37 PM
Thumbs up hey Galaxy

nice rig

i see you are heavy into photography...i used to shoot pro. 86d all my gear though.

nice shots

hey...i am sure there are manyother 6" shocks...hell fabtech hasn't been around that long...at least not beyond SoCal.

i do hear good and bad about fabtech..never heard any bad about Rancho. I wonder about ProComp....just because a local place really digs them.

dave

Old 12-02-2003, 06:02 PM
Hey Dave,

I have the wrangler MT/R, they have been excellent tires thus far. They are good in almost all conditions and I they have not failed me four wheeling in some not so nice areas. But best of all you don't get that much road noise from them which also makes it nice on long trips!

My mother has MS so it is hard for her to get in and out of my truck, but I have found a couple little tricks so far. If I know she will be riding with me I usally throw a milk crate in the back so she has an extra step. Otherwise she has found that if she steps up ion the nerf bar then grabs the handle above the door and goes in head first works well for her. But the milk crate works best, just like stairs!

Are you planning on doing the lift soon?

Old 12-02-2003, 08:29 PM
I'd go with the RCD 5in. It puts less strain on some parts when compared to the fabtech lift. I had a Trailmaster 4in on my 97, and was able to fit 35s.