Whats the worst that could happen

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the worst that could happen

Ok guys, Just got my Hi-teck Reman tires put on my truck and was told and shown by the mechanic the ball joints were very bad, he said I needed to get them done asap. Funds are tight right now around Christmas. If I wait a month and a ball joint should go or come apart, what is the worst that will happen?

Mike

Old 12-01-2004, 08:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it falls apart you could lose control, wreck, kill yourself and other people. It can't get much worse than that can it?

Old 12-01-2004, 11:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Basically, when a ball joint "fails" all together, it breaks. When it breaks, your front suspension can collapse - causing you to loose control. Although this is bad, tie rod ends failing can be even worse. Did I mention that Ford has a problem with these too? I'd suggest finding some money to fix them.

Old 12-01-2004, 01:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ether fix them or dont drive

Old 12-01-2004, 03:25 PM
I tend to agree it is very dangerous to drive a vehicle with "bad" ball joints. If you can jack it up and get a little play out of the wheel (hand on top and bottom and rock top and bottom) it is time and you really shouldn't wait.

Old 12-01-2004, 08:45 PM
ok

OK OK OK OK I get it. What is the going price in NJ for replacing these. A shop I called quoted me $550.00 for all four. Is this a fair price?

Old 12-01-2004, 09:16 PM
pricing

thats a good price. I got quoted 850 in So Cal. I know things are a little more expensive here, but not that much.

However, I really recommend doing the upper ball joints yourself. If you have a lift and aftermarket upper control arms, the balljoints are easy to replace(1hr tops with the right tools:good jack, balljoint splitter, and socket set). be sure to replace them with high quality ones like Moog. Without a lift, you have to replace the entire control arm, but its still going to save you a lot(2 hrs max on the labor doing it yourself). Also, you can do the lowers yourself, but it is more of a mess because you have to take out the springs,shocks,etc.

Quick Reply: Whats the worst that could happen