fitting 35's...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2000, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post fitting 35's...

Anyone know the best/cheapest way to get a truck where it will run 35's, without cutting or a torsion bar adjustment? (I know a body lift, but that only sends it up 3"...i don't think that will be enough, and i don't want to spend the 1500 for a suspension just yet...college eats up a lot of money) Christmas is coming up soon, hoping to get tires and wheels, so i need the height to run them....meek

------------------
1997 Black 4x4 F-150 XLT 4.6L 285/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T's Eagle Alloy Wheels, K&N Airfilter, Flowmaster Exhaust, Dual tips off of one pipe. Nerf Bars, Brush guard, and 2 Ralley lights

sooner or later: a lift and bigger mud terrain tires

Old 11-20-2000, 04:25 PM
You can fit 35s with a 4x4 with a 3" body lift. Thats the cheapest way, you might need to tighten up the torsion bars in the front too.

Old 11-20-2000, 06:03 PM

------------------
My Ride: 1998 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercab Flareside 5.4L in Oxford White/gold, ORP, Tow Package, 3.55 Gears.

Modifications: K&N FIPK, Stepshield door sill protectors, Performance Accesories 3" body lift, Lift Lips, Gabriel Gas Ryder LT VST Shocks, Daystar front anti-sway bar polyurethane bushings and 35x12.5R16.5LT BFG All Terrain KO's on 16.5x9.75 American Eagle 589's.

Photos at: http://www.communicomgroup.com/jmtruck

Old 11-21-2000, 12:23 AM
JMTruck
All you have is a 3"body lift right? Do the 35's not rub any? Any other details or suggestions you have would be cool...thanks, Meek

------------------
1997 Black 4x4 F-150 XLT 4.6L 285/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T's Eagle Alloy Wheels, K&N Airfilter, Flowmaster Exhaust, Dual tips off of one pipe. Nerf Bars, Brush guard, and 2 Ralley lights

Old 11-21-2000, 10:05 AM
Thumbs up

JMTruck,

That is one of the best setups I have seen. The wheel and tires look awesome.

Sorry but I have to ask questions:

1) Do the tires rub? Inquiring minds want to know.
2) What is the offset of the wheels?
3) Performance. Loss of?
4) Do the tires rub from a load in the back? How about offroading do they rub?

Excellent look!

Old 11-21-2000, 03:07 PM
meek 47

Yes, they did rub but I already did some trimming to the front valance. Under normal street driving conditions everything it's been fine. I do very little off-roading.

99F150_Colorado

1) Yes, they did at the beginning. Not anymore with some trimming of the front valance.
2)18mm negative offset and 4 3/4" backspacing.
3)Yes, there is a performance loss. How much? Well, that's something that bothers me because long time ago I bought a GTech meter to do some performance readings with the OEM tires and then compare with the new ones with no gear change. Never did it. But the loss is there. I am planning on getting 4.56's.
4) At this time the only thing I've carried in the back were the four old wheels and tires, not too heavy. But I think the rear will do OK with a heavy load since the tires will be moving straight up and there is space, maybe not much but there is. No off roading yet, but I am sure they will hit if I ride hard. I think this is more cosmetic than practical and to make it practical, a combination with a suspension lift would be great. Or just a suspension lift in the first place. That's what I am planning for sometime next year. Maybe a Rancho or if I go crazy a Whiplash (assuming that I own an extra daily driver).

For the moment I been thinking of just touching those torsion's for another 1/2"-1" in the front and getting a 2" inch block rear lift from Superlift. I prefer the taller rear stance and those blocks are design to be mounted over the OEM so you keep the bumpstops.

I don't like the quality of the photos but that's the only camera I have (and the only photographer) and not buying a new one since the money is going for truck mods.

------------------
My Ride: 1998 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercab Flareside 5.4L in Oxford White/gold, ORP, Tow Package, 3.55 Gears.

Modifications: K&N FIPK, Stepshield door sill protectors, Performance Accesories 3" body lift, Lift Lips, Gabriel Gas Ryder LT VST Shocks, Daystar front anti-sway bar polyurethane bushings and 35x12.5R16.5LT BFG All Terrain KO's on 16.5x9.75 American Eagle 589's.

Old 11-21-2000, 04:40 PM
Thanks JM....
What do you know about Torison bar adjustments..i know my buddy did it to his new Nissan Frontier to run 33's with a 3" body...his ride quality isn't so great...if i get a body lift, i don't want to cut....any other suggestions to get an inch or two for cheap on top of the body lift?

------------------

Old 11-21-2000, 08:52 PM
The other thing you can do is a custom built body lift of say maybe 4". But you have to have the hands on experience and the resources to fabricate this. Or maybe you can get it done. I personally prefer to go with companies like Performance or Trailmaster for the body lifts.

Tweaking the torsions means the truck will be running a little on the rough side. Less down travel and if the adjustment is considerable you will be putting to much stress on front components like the CV joints. Only 1" may not affect too much.

I will try to get a picture of the trimmed front valance to give you an idea of how they look after the small cut.

------------------

Old 11-21-2000, 11:19 PM
Thumbs up

HEY! jm truck this is F-trucks thanks for showing the picture of your truck! looks great! you wouldnt happen to have a front view of your truck? or can you tell me about how far the tires sticks out with that size? i have the bushwacker extenda flares on mine and i would like to have a couple inches sticking out to make it look right PEP BOYS has a set of 315/75/16 tires they are the durango brand made by cooper tires the same company that makes pro comp tires and the tread looks close to them HUMM!!! but you have to special order them they take 3 or 4 days to get them? they are $501 mounted and balanced with road hazzard 50.000 mile warranty (NOT BAD) i have the 285/75/16 durango tires on my truck now and they have 30.000 on them and there not even hardly showing any wear they are great tires! THANKS!
www.ftucks.homestead.com

Old 11-22-2000, 05:20 AM
F-trucks

The front shot I took was a very bad looking photo. I will try to get a new one and post it here. But I have to say they are almost flush, maybe 1/2" or less sticking out. If you have the extend-a-fenders flares maybe a 10" rim would fill it better.

Here is how the rear looks.

------------------

Quick Reply: fitting 35's...