Ground Force 1"/2" lowering kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Ground Force 1"/2" lowering kit

i just got this kit installed at a shop near my house. i saw a few pics of people trucks with this kit and a pic of a truck on ground force website with a 1/2 drop. it looked pretty cool. but now that i've had it done, it looks like crap still.

everyone knows how stock f-150s have that "rear end tilt" that puts the back up in the air an inch or two. i though that this kit would solve this problem and make my truck sit level... i was wrong. this kit didnt really do anything. it looks like ot lowered the entire truck 2". i still have that "tilt" but much lower. i'm kinda unhappy with this.

i'm going back to the shop tomorrow and having them remove the smallest leaf spring in the rear end and maybe that will solve the "tilt" problem. if any of u guys have had a problem like this, or know of anything i can do to fix it, please let me know.
thanx

JP

Old 05-26-2003, 08:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Most of the folks on this board report that the rear end is 3" higher than the front.

You can get replacement shackles for $30 that will lower the rear end 2" from DJM Suspensions. For about $150, you can get a hanger /shackle kit that will lower the rear 4". That would put your truck about level, I believe...

Old 05-26-2003, 09:47 PM
The Grond Force 1/2 kit is advertised for the L & HD models. Since yours appears to be a standard F150 then it should have lowered you about 2/2. Sounds like you got the wrong kit; Either you picked the wrong one of somebody gave you some bad info. If you want it to sit "level" then you need either 0/2, 1/3 or a 2/4 kit.

Old 05-27-2003, 06:40 PM
instead of getting new shackles or a new kit, has anyone heard of dropping the leaf springs below the axle? one of the guys down at the garage said that he lowered his truck by moving his leaf springs from above his wheel axle to below it. he said that it dropped it about 3"... is that a good idea?.. i don't do alot of hauling and i never tow stuff..
thanx

JP

Old 05-27-2003, 06:51 PM
Well it all depends on how the GF kit drops your truck.

The front is probably springs, but for the rear, was it shackles? If so, then it doesn't matter if its advertised for the HD's or not, because a 2" shackle is a 2" shackle, no matter what. Also, the only place that i know of that sells bigger shackles is JLP's 4" shackles, which are really only a 3" shackle, i'm not sure where they got 4" from.

Anyway, usually the rear of the trucks are 2" higher than the backs, so if you kept the front stock and just did the rear shackles you would have been almost level, but since you dropped the front also, you either need to get the bigger shackles, add hangers (PITA to install), or take out a leaf spring which will get you roughly 2" more of drop.

I know my truck is a HD so its probably a little different, but to get my truck level i did 2" rear shackles. I dropped the front 2 weeks ago one inch, and i wanted it level again, so i did the 3" rear shackles, and its sitting level again with a 1"/3" drop....which is equal to a 2"/4" on a regular f150 since the HD's are dropped 1" by the springs from the factory

Old 05-27-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Harley#356
...then it doesn't matter if its advertised for the HD's or not, because a 2" shackle is a 2" shackle, no matter what.
Actually it does matter. Since the rear is already 2" higher and you add the 1/2 kit for the HD or L, you will end up with a 2/2 drop, thus keeping the 2" rake. You are correct that a 2" shackle is a 2" shackle, but when coupled with a 2" spring, you will get a 2" drop AND keep the 2" rake.

Old 05-28-2003, 09:40 PM
maybe read my whole quote?

The front is probably springs, but for the rear, was it shackles? If so, then it doesn't matter if its advertised for the HD's or not, because a 2" shackle is a 2" shackle, no matter what.
referring to the rear springs....asking if the rear is done with shackles or springs. If it was with shackles it doesn't matter if the kit is for a HD or L or regular F150, because the shackles would be the same. I didnt say anything about the front springs in that paragraph

Old 05-28-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Harley#356
...referring to the rear springs....asking if the rear is done with shackles or springs. If it was with shackles it doesn't matter if the kit is for a HD or L or regular F150, because the shackles would be the same. I didnt say anything about the front springs in that paragraph
Maybe read my previous post where I said that the GF 1/2 kit is advertised for the L & HD and not for a standard f150. It consists of front coils and rear shackles.

No hard feelings I hope?

Old 05-30-2003, 04:38 PM
Arrow

alright guys,

i've been talking with people for the past 4 days and no one can seem to find a way to drop my truck without buying an expensive kit or loosing drivability.

we've decided that i should keep my new hangers/shackles where they are, and replace my new front coils with the old factory ones. they said that it wouldnt effect the ride much at all, but that it would raise the front end up about 1.5-2". if true, this will put me pretty close to being level.

thanx for all the tips and help this past week. i appreciated it. i guess this goes to show ya, READ WHAT MODEL TRUCK A KIT FITS ON BEFORE YOU BUY IT...
thanx again.

JP

Old 05-30-2003, 05:57 PM
Silver, check back over at FTW, you got an offer to help you out.

http://www.fordtruckworld.com/forums....asp?id=169100

Old 06-15-2003, 12:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the kit is for a L or HD, with then already sitting 1 inch lower all the way around, all you did was a 2/2 drop. Your front springs were stock 150 springs the L and HD springs are 1 inch less from the factory, So you did a 2 inch drop in the front and 2 in the rear. if you go and get the 2 inch hangers for your 2 in shackles in the rear you will be sitting pretty level.

Old 06-18-2003, 10:41 AM
^^ That's what I said...

Quick Reply: Ground Force 1"/2" lowering kit