Front Suspension Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Suspension Rattle

I just had the driver's torsion bar replaced on my 97 F-150 4x4 after the old one snapped. Now there is a rattle from the driver's side suspension and you can feel it when you hit light bumps.

I did have to drive the truck to the shop on the broken bar and I am guessing that the shock on the driver's side is blown, but I am not sure. The rattle isn't real bad, but noticable and it definetly started after the torsion bar broke.

The shocks are all original as is most the truck with 128000 miles on it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

Old 05-20-2003, 12:12 PM
I don't know about blowing out a shock by driving it with a broken torsion bar, but you may want to check the front sway bar end links. They seem to be a problem on the Expy's and I think a 4x4 F150 is very similar front end-wise to an Expy. That discussion is going on HERE

Of course 128k on the factory shocks, well...they're done, game over. The improved handling alone not to mention ride quality would be reason to change them. But I also understand about budgeting for repairs and new shocks will run you anywhere from $125 for cheap ones to $300+ for really good ones.

Good Luck!!

Old 05-21-2003, 10:08 PM
Cool noise

superfuzz, Big C is right, but I'd check ALL of your steering system's tie rod ends. Also, at 128K, I'd replace all of your shocks. By the way, if you put one new torsion bar on, I'd replace the other too, the're not very expensive and the older one might fail soon too. Let us know what you find wrong. Good luck.

Old 05-21-2003, 10:43 PM
Suspension Rattle

Yeah, I am quite sure I need to replace the shocks and it wouldn't hurt to replace the tie-rod ends either. I have already replaced both sides of the sway bar links so those are new, I found one broken/missing last fall.

As far as replacing the other torsion bar, the mechanic said he wouldn't worry too much about the other one, because they rarely break. I think he just didn't want to do the other side. Also, the broken one had a crack in it where it broke, I could see rust on the inside steel so the crack was evident.

I do have the other torsion bar, it's just a matter of budgeting to replace it. I know too that I need to replace the shocks. Another budget item....

Thanks for the help!!!

Old 05-22-2003, 12:44 AM
surprised the shocks in a heavy 4wd truck would last over 100k miles. for 2wd purposes, you can get new shocks pretty cheap----$60 an axle (monro gas) for 2wd but not sure about any special requirements to meet 4wd specs. You have a large vehicle so i assuming you have family/friends riding with you. just remember, shocks are not just for cushy ride purposes. Shocks are an important part of your vehicle's stability, handling and braking systems. (bad shocks do increase a cars's stopping distance, particularly on rough roads) Shocks can make a difference between a close encounter and an acccident. (if you are wondering, i have zero association with the car industry. ) fyi, good luck.

Quick Reply: Front Suspension Rattle