Ball Joint issues???

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ball Joint issues???

I took my Ranger in for alignment today and after work went to pick it back up. My truck is a 98 Ranger Flareside 4x2. Well they said the alignment was fine but they did find some other things under there that I was totally shocked by They said my passenger side upper Ball Joint is weak and I need new tires all the way around. They said on modern Rangers, because of a new suspension design. They said that it used to be on some older Rangers that the lower ball joints would go bad, but because of this new design, it causes the uppers to go out first. I don't know if this is true or not as I don't have up to date History on Rangers. They quoted me $300 to fix it and was wondering if this is reasonable. MY Ranger only has 47K miles on it and it already needs a ball joint??????? Any info here I greatly appreciate. Tks,,,,91

Old 05-23-2003, 07:45 PM
Just had the lower ball joints on mine replaced; wouldn't pass inspection without them. Price was about $240 parts & labor. Can tell a difference in driving.

Old 05-27-2003, 05:08 PM
Lightbulb Ball Joints

Local shop wanted almost 1000 bucks to replace both lower ball joints, front shocks, motor mount and ahhhh...... oh yeah and an oil change. After picking my jaw up off the floor I priced the parts out and this week end I installed it all my self. The ball joints were a major pain, the entire lower control arm needed to be removed so the old ball joints could be pressed out and the new one pressed in. In all it took me and a good buddy about 6 hours. Now all I need is an alignment. Its amazing what you can do with a little gusto, tools.....and beer.

Quick Reply: Ball Joint issues???