Why??

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2000, 01:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why??

Why would someone raise their 4x2 truck to look like a 4x4 and then have a harsh ride, when they could have spent some more money and buy a 4x4 and enjoy a nice ride and besides that put on 4x4 decals, off road tires brush guard etc..

------------------
2000 F-150, S/C F/S 5.4lt Auto, 3.55 LS, M4x4, Capt. Chairs 6 way elec., 6 CD,
Med Toreador Red
Born 03-27-00
Mods,
Superchip uat2
Borla Anniversary Edition Split rear cat back
K&N Gen II or FIPK
Granattely Mass Air Flow
BBK 75mm Trottle Body
SVT Lightning 18" wheels
285/60/18 Pirelli scorpion Zero
Hellwig Sway bar
Dark Walnut dash kit
Muth signal mirrors
White face gauge
Bosch Plat. 4's
Retrax Rolltop
Outland sport bumper guard
Rancho rsx shocks

Old 05-18-2000, 04:37 AM
CR1
4x2's in general have lower insurance costs, increased reliability, better gas milage, not all lift kits generate a harsh ride, and I think 4x2's can still drive off the road into the dirt and mud. Other than that, I can't think of anything.

------------------
1999 2WD XLT 4.2L Auto
http://www.geocities.com/cr1f150/
3 inch bullseye spindle lift
Borla catback
Airaid intake
Clear corners

Old 05-18-2000, 09:00 AM
Angry

I get sick and tired of people questioning me about lifting a 2wd. Its not your truck so don't worry about it. I mean just because I'm taller than you don't be hurt. And another thing, If there were no one lifting 2wd's then we wouldn't be able to find lift kits would we? All the big companies are starting to make lifts for them too IE: Procomp, Rancho, Superlift. Some of us Couldn't afford the 28,000 truck to start off with. But we can add a 600 spindle lift and a 130 body lift. And I tell you what, Park next to me in a parking lot......The people will Be looking @ MY truck............................................. .End Rant

Oh BTW......Going on the same Note, Why did you put Lightning wheels on a Non Lightning, And a 4x4 at that, Huh ????

Oh cause you liked the look right? Well then you're just like us
------------------
98 F150 2WD,Bright Red, Regular Cab, 4.2, 3.55, 5 Speed, Superchip, 2 Superchip Decals (I Think They Add 5 HP Each), 3 Inch Bullseye Lift Spindles, 3" Body Lift, 1" Coil Spacers, 3" Blocks In Rear,Manik Grill Guard,Nerf Bars, Vent Visors,Air Box Mod, Fog Lights Mounted In Front Air Dam ,4 Kc DayLighters, Back Up Lights, Alpine CD Player, 2 Kenwood Amps,Polk Audio DX7 5X7's In The Front Doors, 10 Inch MTX Blue Thunder SubWoofer, Tinted Windows. 35" BFGOODRICH ALL TERRAIN KO'S Mounted on 16.5x9.75 American Racing Baja Rims
<A HREF="http://www.zing.com/picture/pf95408d4c385a927598e7884a5151a2a/ffd9add3.jpg" TARGET=_blank> </A> <A HREF="http://www.zing.com/picture/p7e554b755e2bb9aa66f774b76d669a34/ffd9add2.jpg" TARGET=_blank> </A> <A HREF="http://www.zing.com/picture/pe0557f5ae565a8da25e9ce11b08009df/ffd9add1.jpg" TARGET=_blank> </A> <A HREF="http://www.zing.com/picture/p810cf5ac82eb57b84a62f699fb0f38e7/ffd9ad72.jpg" TARGET=_blank> </A> <A HREF="http://www.zing.com/picture/p3d23039451896f609154656f22698b8f/ffd991ca.jpg" TARGET=_blank> </A>
CLICK THE PIC FOR A BIGGER ONE

..........."IF YOU CAN'T STOP, SMILE AS YOU GO UNDER"...........

'00 Toyota Celica GT( Wife's Car )<A HREF="http://www.zing.com/picture/p5ef23f8639c03b4f05f21e4f35c15cfb/ffd9ad71.jpg" TARGET=_blank> </A>

Pics @ http://www.angelfire.com/la2/ccla/

[This message has been edited by ccla (edited 05-18-2000).]

[This message has been edited by ccla (edited 05-18-2000).]

Old 05-18-2000, 10:08 AM
Wink

ccla,
Dont take it serious, last nite I had nothing to do and just went surfing the site to see in suspension everyone talking about raising or lowering their trucks,and I just wonderd why, eventhough just now i saw your sig and learnd that your truck is a 4x2, about the wheels and tires they are only used in city and when on my trip to the farm i use the OEM.

Old 05-19-2000, 04:28 PM
No harm done dragonboy....and I think CCLA very eloquently stated why most of us lifted our 4x2's instead of buying a 4x4

I lifted my 4x2 because pure and simple I like the height & look of the 4x4 but since I no longer have the opportunity to go hunting, mudding, etc because I now live in the land of concrete why should I pay the $2-3000 more for a 4x4, pay higher gas costs, and pay higher insurance to boot when I have absolutely no use for it. Like CCLA said...$130 is a lot cheaper. My ride did not suffer a bit because I went up 3" body only and I am very happy w/it. To each his own!

Hey CCLA thanks for defending us bud!

Old 05-19-2000, 11:14 PM
Thumbs up

ccla,
sure I'll park next to you!
You know I've been wanting to ask the same question but I knew all the 4x2 people would jump me, so thanks dragonboy for asking first. Takes the pressure off. ccla, you must get a lot of **** about it because you seem a little sensitive about it. You all answered my question and I can definetly respect that. It gets a little frustrating that it seems every person on the board who talks about lifting there truck has a 4x2. Gets kinda lonely. You all have great looking trucks! One last thing...CR1, I know you can drive your 4x2 into the dirt and mud.......but can you still get out without a 4x4 helping you?
just kidding

------------------
97 F-150 Black, 4x4 XLT ext.cab,sb,offroad pack.
4" Susp. lift, 3" body
4.56 gears w/LS,
Flowmaster 50 Series w/ duals out rear
36x14.5x16.5 Super Swampers TSL Radials,
16.5x9.75 Weld Scorpio V wheels,
Pre-Runner Bumper w/KC Daylights,
Westin nerf bars,
Pro-Comp Front Skid Plate,
Summit Aluminum Diff cover,
Rancho 9000's and remote,
Lift Lips,
Lighted FORD logo,
K&N Filter,
Superchip,
Bosch Platinum +4,
TransGo Shift kit,
Bug shield,Tinted windows
Sony ES Mobile head unit,Sony ES Mobile changer,MTX Thunderform sub,Boston Acoustic Pro-Series up front, Polk in rear,PPI & Coustic Amps,Alpine Alarm

Check it out at:
http://members.aol.com/squanto804/scottwebpage.html

Old 05-20-2000, 10:07 AM

Dragonboy and Squantos,
Ok why do people buy 4x4 and never leave the street or put their trucks in 4x4 mode? Why do poeple including 4x4 guys hop up there engines? Why do guys lower their trucks? Why do we all put bed liners in our trucks? Why do we put big expensive radios in our trucks, they go so loud we cant think. The questions go on and on. We do it because we can and all want to personalize our own vehicles. Why spend 30,000 on a loaded 4x4, if its a farm truck or mud truck you dont need power window and locks and all the other goodies, why put polished rims on a mud truck. If its a work truck get a xl. You see we all dont make since. We all have trucks because we like them, bottom line.
I have had many 4x4 and hardly ever used it, never had to. I have always been able to get through in 4x2 mode. So why would I go spend 30,000 plus on a 4x4 that I would never use? I wouldnt. I like the lifted look and feel. Why would a 4x4 guy lift a 4x4, it doesnt really give you much more clearence and the center of gravity is thrown off? Bbecause they like the look. I know some of the 4x4 guys really used the heck out of there 4x4 and they are the minority, most 4x4 guys own them because they like the stance. My truck stands about 6'7 inches now and I will go taller, because I can and want too. And I may get a winch to so I can go almost anywhere you 4x4 guys go, it will just take me alittle longer. And I have 9000 dollars in my pocket to do mods with..only at about 5000 now....lol..
And you know what, I can smoke my tires real good too.
I like it, Tammy likes it, Jacob likes it, I get compliments every day so alot of people like it. And no, I am not going to put a 4x4 sticker on it, I have thought about putting a 4x2 sticker on the side so when I pull along side of a 4x4 they can see it at eye level....Dave

------------------
1998 F-150, SC/Flairside,oxford white 4x2,4.6,auto,3.55s,nerf bars,cls 111 towing,bed liner w/mat,atlas polished wheels w/285/75 R/16 BFG A/Ts (black side out),all plastics guards/bug shields,air raid/k & n filter, superchipped, duals out the back corners, flow master 3 chamber, snug top lid, f-150 online sticker back window-honk if you see me!!! Fabtech 3 1/2 lift .coverking dash cover, Lumi Logo's (front and rear), clear front corner lenses, muth mirrors,3" bullseye spindles, dash mounted CB, (TX Chapter requirement,lol),personalized license plates.

San Antonio
DWESSELS89@AOL.COM

[This message has been edited by DAVENSA (edited 05-20-2000).]

Trending Topics

Old 05-20-2000, 10:35 AM
Squantos,
After I put my body lift and bigger tires on I will be taller than you. I think the majority of guys that get upset because we are lifting 4x2 is because we can lift higher for cheaper cost.

By the way nice truck, I looked at your web page you have done good. But I ONLY HAVE ONE QUESTION ? Why do you have a lifted truck with big honking tires when you live in a subdivision where the streets are paved and your house has a concrete driveway? lol..just being alittle sarcastic..It does look nice though..

Thing is guys..Dont throw stones if you live in a glass house....

I think all the guys and gals here on this site have great looking trucks, I wouldnt do things that some of you have done but what the hell its not my truck. To each his own, if every one did the same thing to their trucks we wouldnt have this site.

NO MAS!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
1998 F-150, SC/Flairside,oxford white 4x2,4.6,auto,3.55s,nerf bars,cls 111 towing,bed liner w/mat,atlas polished wheels w/285/75 R/16 BFG A/Ts (black side out),all plastics guards/bug shields,air raid/k & n filter, superchipped, duals out the back corners, flow master 3 chamber, snug top lid, f-150 online sticker back window-honk if you see me!!! Fabtech 3 1/2 lift .coverking dash cover, Lumi Logo's (front and rear), clear front corner lenses, muth mirrors,3" bullseye spindles, dash mounted CB, (TX Chapter requirement,lol),personalized license plates.

San Antonio
DWESSELS89@AOL.COM

[This message has been edited by DAVENSA (edited 05-21-2000).]

Old 05-21-2000, 10:33 PM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Anyone here ever heard of a pre-runner?? A two wheel drive used by the pros to get a look at the track. Why? CHEEPER THAT'S WHY! Next time you watch an off road desert race, look close, there will be more 2WD vehicles then 4WD's.

------------------
Black 1997 F-150 Supercab Flairside. 4.6L with Jocobs DIS, K&N Generation II, Cat back Exhaust (my own, nice rumble). 17" Off Road wheel pkg. Lots of body mods. 4 yrs old and still turns heads...

Old 05-22-2000, 01:30 AM
WLF,
I think this can be disputed, if a team came up to me and requested a sponsorship for this race, for sure i will and specifically asked a 4x2 vehicle, it can be tuned better than a 4x4 an run faster much a lot faster, eventhough you will see the Hummer in that race but shes an all wheel drive on a Jeep Grand Cherokee which is also an all wheel drive but not a part time 4x4 that when engaged you can only run to a specific speed, not the speed the 4x2 are doing in this race, as for a sponsorship for a real offroad rally like going to the mountains where you are going to see the red clay i'll go for the 4x4 all the way, a 4x2 will not go through a creek or a river 4 feet or even lower not even if you are 3, 4, 5, 6" raised when you cross a 20,30,40 feet wide or even wider rivers with loose gravel and or rocks on the bottom and you start to slip then a 4x4 will haul you out.have you seen any raised 4x2's on the rocky mountain rally???

Old 05-22-2000, 09:43 AM
Wink

Ok, Im here to defend my 2WD brothers. The reason i choose to buy and lift a 2x instead of a 4x is because 2WD's cost less to purchase AND to lift,they ride smoother both stock and lifted (atleast the 97-00 do),they get better gas mileage,there's less maintenance and parts to break and they have superior ground clearance. I personally love the look of a big 2WD..they look like you can walk right under them. Granted Im not going to attemt any bogs of mountain faces with it...but i dont any of us had that in mind in the first place. Its all personal preference, as long as we like it..thats all that matter...cause WE are the ones paying for it! BTW i should have mine lifted within 3-4 weeks!! WOOHOO

DS

------------------
2000 F150 XLT SC 4x2, 5.4L auto, 3.55 LS, Med Toreador solid, Med Graphite int,pwr everything except seat, CD player...*Current Mods=Stull grill,tinted windows,keyless entry/alarm,PIAA superwhites*

*** In the Works - 6.5" Fabtech,3" bodylift,BFG AT ko's 35x12.50's,16x10" American Racing Baja's,Rancho RS9000's,Hellwig swaybar,pre-runner bumper w/4 100w's,custom 3" cat-back w/40series Flowmaster,4.56 gears,Flip-chip,Black nerf's,Fosgate amp/JL subs/4 Pioneer 6x8's ***

Im such an ***...

[This message has been edited by DirtSlinger (edited 05-22-2000).]

Old 05-22-2000, 01:19 PM
Arrow

I am not arguing with anyone, but just thought that I would offer something that I have obeserved. A lot of it depends on what the function of the truck is going to be. For one, if you are just driving gravel roads and desert roads (which I would love to try sometime) you only need the 4x2 truck. However if you are like me, I go down logging roads when I am hunting and fishing, and it is nice to know that I have the 4x4 if I need it. I try to go everywhere in 4x2, but at times that doesn't work. Personally, I feel that each to their own with their truck. I like to "play" in the mud, and need the beef and power of a 4x4, as it will take more of a beating from my past expirences. Yes, they are more to replace parts, but that is my choice.
Just wanted to add my 2 cents on the subject...

Old 05-22-2000, 01:43 PM
Come on guys,
I want to see that truck with a body lift only running 35s....Some of the 4x4 rub witht he 295 with a body lift, and some of the 4x2 can run 285s with no lift..Dont ask me why I dont know, I have seen them both..Maybe its the extra weight of the 4x4 stuff...
Most of us bought the 4x2 because we dont go off road everyday or in 3 feet of mud.( the cleaning isnt worth the fun anyways, in my opinion). We all have nice trucks, add it up though, body lift and spindles = 6 inches of lift..it will put a 4x2 higher that a 4 inch lifted 4x4 at a cheaper cost..or the 4x4 can get a body lift, but the 4x2 will be the same size or taller. and we still have the trucks at a cheaper price. I bought my truck for 21500..they wanted 25000 (27500 sticker) for the same truck in 4x4. I dont go off road much, no mud, no breaking parts. I just like the way it looks and rides. 4x4s have a place and so do 4x2s, yes we cant go everywhere you go, but then again we dont want to..Dave

------------------

San Antonio
DWESSELS89@AOL.COM

Old 05-22-2000, 02:23 PM
Ok, well I can't sit back here and not say anything. 4X4's have special purpose that only they can do. When it comes to slow going offroading then you can't beat a 4X. Mud, rock climbing, steep hills, etc. are almost impossible in a 2X. Don't get me wrong though. I have owned both and my truck now is a 2X. They have also good characteristics. I can lift my truck and do almost the same stuff as a 4X. Less parts to break, don't have to worry about CV angles when lifting, and the list goes on. Most of the top off-road trucks are 2X's because they don't need 4 wheel drive to win. But to each his own and a special purpose for all.

Also, everyone take a breather because this is beginning to sound like a ford vs chevy chat room.

Just my .02, sorry to **** anyone off.

Bones

------------------
2000 F-150, XLT, 4X2, Ext. Cab, S/B, 4.6L, 3.55 L/S, Tow Package, Sony CDX-C7050X Head Unit, 6.5' Sony Three Way Speakers In Each Door. Hopefully An Amp And 12' Sub Soon.

Future Mods: NONE, I'm broke.

Old 05-23-2000, 12:46 AM
Whats this "its cheaper to lift a 2 wheel crap"? YOu guys have to lift your truck like 10 inches to get 35's under your truck. Us 4x4's just have to spend 130 on a body lift and wham, clearance for 35's, the same as you do with like 3 inch body, spindles, lift kit,etc... And how much does all that add up to, alot more than just a body lift... And not all 4x4's never leave the pavement, b/c I leave it as much as you probably see the highway...