Rear leafspring recall help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear leafspring recall help please

Does anyone know what the rear leafspring recall fix looks like? Picture, link?
I have a 97 F150 and the drivers side center leaf broke exactly how the recall describes. here Though I never overloaded the truck.
Story: I bought the truck used and got a notice ages ago that the recall work needed to be done. I called the local dealer and was told the work had been done already. I even got a second notice.
I can't believe that the work was done since the center leaf broke at the front axle mount plate and twisted so that it hit the gas tank bracket. I thought that that is what was supposed to be fixed. If Ford never did the work then I should be able to get the springs replaced under that program. I spoke with Ford 800# and they also said the VIN shows as recall completed. Thanks
Tom

Old 04-24-2003, 03:32 PM
If no one has any info on the recall. How about: Does anyone have any hints or tricks for installing new leafs if I have to do it myself? I have an air wrench and floor jacks and the leafs themselves.
thanks
-tom

Old 04-28-2003, 08:48 PM
That recall just consisted of a spring clamp around the front of your rear springs. The clamps are in two pieces and hook on one end and bolt together on the other. Nothing more than a glorified spring clamp.

Old 04-30-2003, 02:58 PM
taterthedog
thanks for the reply. I spoke with someone at the Ford dealer, the recall had been done. The new springs are different, they only have a clip on the front section. The originals had a clip at the rear and the recall added a new clip to the front.
-tom

Old 04-30-2003, 03:15 PM
All the recall did was place a clamp to prevent a broken spring from contacting the gas tank. No spring replacement.

Old 05-02-2003, 12:44 PM
gerrys
If the springs were broken at the time of the recall work being performed, Ford would replace the broken spring free of charge. It is in the recall link I posted earlier.
-tom

Old 05-02-2003, 01:28 PM
Your truck may have had the clips installed under warrantee.
My 97 did , but 1 broke off within a year. I took it back to dealer who said the warrantee on the recalled clips was over. They wanted $65 to put another clip back on. I felt they should of stood behind their repai better then that.

Smokercraft

Old 05-02-2003, 03:33 PM
Smokercraft
The clips were installed as part of the recall. Ford national #800 said that Ford is only under obligation to do the fix ONCE. I asked the manager at the local Ford dealership to pass along my concern that the 'fix' did not prevent the broken leaf from contacting the gas tank. The ONLY reason the leaf did not hit/puncture my tank was the skid plate package adds a bracket that the broken leaf hit. If I did not have the skid plate package... puncture -> spark -> KABOOM!
I am a mechanical engineer and I would say with 99% confidence that the original leaf broke due to metal fatigue. You can see the fracture propogation.
I wound up paying for the new leafs and installing them myself. Nothing that 2 hours and an impact socket couldn't fix.
-tom

Quick Reply: Rear leafspring recall help please