Which Shocks for Towing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2000, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which Shocks for Towing?

I have a '91 F-150 4x2 and it is time to replace the shocks... I was thinking about Ford's heavy duty shocks, then heard the price and am wondering if I can beat the performance for roughly the same price? Or more...

My need is strictly for a firm-riding shock that will meet or exceed Ford's heavy duty shock performance. ($49 apiece installed at my Ford dealer.)

I can get Rancho 5000s for a few dollars more. Rancho 9000s are not too bad, either, but I don't think I need them on all 4 wheels. My thought is to put the 5000s on front, and to use the 9000s on rear since they can be firmed up for towing.

Is there any problem with mixing shocks such as I plan to do?

I like a firm ride. Should I check into any other shock brands?

Again, this is a 4x2 being used for pulling anywhere between 3000 and 7000 pounds.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 02-07-2000, 08:57 PM
As a follow-up, Sears does have Gabriel air shocks for the heaier duty F-series; can get them for the F-150 I believe...

$70 per.

-Mike

Old 02-08-2000, 02:15 PM
Mike,how heavy of a load are towing? You probably have over load springs on that model year??
I would stay away from air shocks if your pulling anything over 4000#s and any distance,the ranchos sound like the way to go, if you've towed before on the orginal shocks.

------------------
fordyfour

2000 4X2 Oxford White/Harvest Gold Flareside Lariat S/C
5.4L,3.55 Ls
Tow Package
True duals(Dynomax Turbos), K&N Filter, with a 71¢,3" PVC fresh air tube
Super White Headlamps
10'WO JL sub (enclosed)
ALL amps and speakers Kenwood

Old 02-08-2000, 05:09 PM
I have the rancho 9000's on my F-1 and love them so far. They have 5 settings, 5 being the firmest for heavy duty towing/off-roading, but I keep mine on 3 for normal driving, which feels better than my truck did the day I drove it off the lot!! I haven't tried setting 5 yet, but 4 is really stiff and it would be great for towing I'm sure. Unfortuneately, I haven't had the opportunity to hook up my motorcycle trailer with all 4 bikes on it yet, but I'm sure it'll be a big improvement over stock. I don't think you can mix 5000's with the 9000's, it would probably not ride very good, since they are two totally different degrees of firmness/rebound. I don't know this for sure, but I have been told that for a F-150, 5000's would be comparable to stock shocks. hope this helps!!

------------------
TRUCK: 1998 F-150 S/c, ORP, Lariat, 4.6L V8, auto, Dark toredor red/silver, 60/40 bench, Grey leather
MODS: diamond plated UWS tool box with rails, bedliner, bedmat, custom "true dual" exhaust, heavy duty tow package, tinted front glass, bug shield, husky floor liners for front and rear

Old 02-08-2000, 06:45 PM
Cool

go ahead & mix & match shocks, there's no problem.. I changed my shocks to the dealer Motorcraft "extra heavy duty". The parts guy recommended I didn't put them on the front, said they are too stiff, but I did anyway, I like it FIRM, and these are firm. They were about a hundred bucks for all four, CDN, and I installed 'em. I would say go for the Rancho's, though, if they're adjustable.

------------------
'97 S/C XLS black/silver 157" WB, 4.6/auto, 3:08, home made custom tube grille, terminator muffler, phantom sweep wiper switch(factory installed), a few billet aluminum goodies (the list grows), airbox mods, TPS tuned
email: bazils@hotmail.com

Quick Reply: Which Shocks for Towing?