Tires and Lowering

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2000, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tires and Lowering

OK guys, Need help

I need to know if I can lower my truck with a 4/6 kit (springs, control arms, flip kit, and shocks) and not have any problems with my tires. I have the STX with factory tires and rims. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Haven't been able to visit the board in quite a while, I have been traveling for work, but it is good to be back,

Thanks

------------------
Chris Thomas
1998 F-150 STX 4.6L Auto 3.55 Oxford White
Mods: A.R.E. Decklid, K&N filter, Airbox Mod (removed silencer), Tinted Windows, GTS sloted taillight covers (painted to match),Kenwoon Truck speakers with 10" woofers, Rockford Fosgate and Alpine Amps, Ford 10 disk CD changer
Future Mods: 3/4 Lowering Kit (Maybe 4/6 if I don't have to change tires at the same time), 20" rims and tires, Superchip, Supercharger, Jacobs Ignition, NOS, True duals with Supertrap tunable mufflers, and whatever else I can think of!!!

Old 01-13-2000, 01:06 PM
Hey Chris, i have a 97 4.6 2 wheel drive and lowered it 3" front and 4" in the rear. i currently have stock rims on but the tires are 265/70/16. the belltech kit is excellent and only when i go over speedbumps at the wrong angle and speed do i rub my front tires. it rubs only on the rubber underguard not the body. it just leaves scuff marks on the guard. also if i drive and hit a big bump it rubs as well. hope this helps.
sometimes i wish i lowered it 4/6 though-

------------------
1997 F150 flareside ; Belltech lowered 3" front, 4" rear ,KYB shocks, Gibson Supertruck exhaust, JBA Headers, TransGo shift kit, Superchip (thanks Mike),Airaid FPIK, Ford Expedition center console, White guages. Soon to be 4:10 gears , Vortech supercharger and lightning rims ( if they can ever be available!)

Old 01-13-2000, 04:46 PM
C U L8R,

Thanks, for the reply. I think you have smaller tires than I do. The STX came with the 17" wheels and Goodyear Eagle GT II tires. Not sure of the exact size, but I think the diameter is between 30 and 31 "......ver large.

How much clearance between the fender and tire do you have? Did you take measurements befor? Would be interresting to see if the difference between the before and after is really 3 and 4 inches.

Thanks,

------------------
Chris Thomas
1998 F-150XLT Flareside STX Sport Package, 4.6L Auto 3.55 Oxford White/Gray interior, Factory Anti-theft system
Picture: http://216.147.104.171/Y2K/members/ChrisT/christ1a.jpg
Mods: A.R.E. Decklid/Oxford White with gray fabric liner, K&N filter with Airbox Mod (removed silencer), Tinted Windows, GTS sloted taillight covers (painted Oxford white to match), Removed STX stickers
Audio: Kenwood Truck speakers with 10" woofers, Rockford Fosgate and Alpine Amps, Ford 10 disk CD changer
Future Mods: 3/4 Lowering Kit (Maybe 4/6 if I don't have to change tires at the same time), 20" rims and tires, True duals with Supertrap tunable mufflers, Superchip, Supercharger, Jacobs Ignition, NOS, and whatever else I can think of!!!

Old 01-28-2000, 11:44 PM
Cool

Hey Chris, hopefuly this will answer your question. I lowered my 99 F-150 4x2 extended cab with a 3-4 belltech kit. I have the factory 16" wheels and have had no rubbing problems. Although I did hit a large pothole one night and lost my r/r bump stop. But other then that I have had no problems. I measured before and after the drop and I actually got a bit more than 3-4. The front went down 3 3/8 inches and the rear almost 4 1/2 inches. I like the way it sits, I don't bottom out, the truck still rides good, and I can still tow and haul stuff. In the January 1999 issue of Super Ford magazine they lowered a 98 F-150 xlt with the stx package. They used the Belltech 3-4 kit and had no trouble with clearance. Personally I think the 4-6 drop will create problems with tire rubbing and possibly alignment concerns. After I lowered my truck I aligned and had to crank the upper control arm adjusters all the way out to get the alignment back in. Hope this info helps. Feel free to ask any more questions and I will do my best to answer back.

Old 01-31-2000, 09:21 AM
Cool

Thanks for the reply fordfixer. I think I probably will go with the 3/4 kit because I have larger tires than you I believe. The STX model came with 275/60/17 tires which have almost a 31 inch diameter. However, I think you have less allignment concerns with the 4 inch drop up front because you have to replace the control arms too and they are adjusted for alignment.

Thanks,

------------------
Chris Thomas
1998 F-150XLT Flareside STX Sport Package, 4.6L Auto 3.55 Oxford White/Gray interior, Factory Anti-theft system
Picture: http://216.147.104.171/Y2K/members/ChrisT/christ1a.jpg
Homepage: Chris & Brandi's Universe
Mods: A.R.E. Decklid/Oxford White with gray fabric liner, K&N filter with Airbox Mod (removed silencer), Tinted Windows, GTS sloted taillight covers (painted Oxford white to match), Removed STX stickers
Audio: Kenwood Truck speakers with 10" woofers, Rockford Fosgate and Alpine Amps, Ford 10 disk CD changer
Future Mods: 3/4 Lowering Kit (Maybe 4/6 if I don't have to change tires at the same time), 20" rims and tires, True duals with Supertrap tunable mufflers, Superchip, Supercharger, Jacobs Ignition, NOS, and whatever else I can think of!!!

Quick Reply: Tires and Lowering