thinking about adding airbags spring

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-1999, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking thinking about adding airbags spring

Hello, has anyone installed Firestone, Airlift or Hellwig air bag springs yet?
Which one gives the best air ride?
Really thinking hard on the Firestone Sport-Rite air bags kit, most expensive of the three also.
I am ready to installed a set since I'm not going to lower the truck, any inputs is deeply appreciated. steve

------------------
1997 XLT Supercab emerald green,4.6 auto superchip, rear dual exhaust, Atlas wheels w HP 275/60/17 tires, Lund steps and quarter window shades, Outland grille guard w KC daylighters (for sale cheap), piaa 1000 in bumpers openings, Trenz billet grille, edlebrock ISA shocks, Powerslider, stainless steel fender trim, fluidyne cooler, Airaid kit, Gentex electronic compass dimming mirror,Downey SST tonneau cover(for sale cheap),A.R.E. lid,
AAR hood next.

Old 09-22-1999, 09:34 PM
Are you adding helper bags or replacing springs with bags? I currently have a set of AirLift helper bags on the rear and a LoadController II compressor and controls. This system is great. I have 9" of drop on the rear axle, so travel is limited to the 4" C-notch in the frame. This set-up allows me to adjust ride height(but only to 3" above normal unloaded), adjust spring rate on the rear, and compensate for heavy(over 300lbs., hey this truck looks good it doesn't haul much but sailboat fuel) loads. If you are inquiring about replacement of front springs with bags, I have the parts and am getting ready to do this. I will try to take some digital pictures while I'm installing the 2600 lbs. Firestone bags on the front for future reference

Old 09-22-1999, 10:07 PM
Smile

Lowdownford, I was just thinking of adding like a helper spring type only. But will it give me something like a air ride though?
I was at the Lowes speedway auto show this past weekend and saw a customized white
F-450 with air ride written on the side. I look under and saw two huge air bags position right behind the rear springs, that what got me into getting the airbags setup.
Just wondering if it would gives me some kind of a ride like my Lincoln MK Vlll(the floating feel). thanks for the input,LDF.

------------------
1997 XLT Supercab emerald green,4.6 auto superchip, rear dual exhaust, Atlas wheels w HP 275/60/17 tires, Lund steps and quarter window shades, Outland grille guard w KC daylighters (for sale cheap), piaa 1000 in bumpers openings, Trenz billet grille, edlebrock ISA shocks, Powerslider, stainless steel fender trim, fluidyne cooler, Airaid kit, Gentex electronic compass dimming mirror,Downey SST tonneau cover(for sale cheap),A.R.E. lid,
AAR hood next.

[This message has been edited by MIF-150 (edited 09-22-1999).]

Old 09-24-1999, 10:44 PM
It won't turn your truck into a luxury car by any means, but it will allow you to smooth out the bumps a bit. It will also help in the turns if you put 30-40 lbs of air in the back so the leaf springs won't give as much.

Quick Reply: thinking about adding airbags spring