sounds and feel like flat spot on tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question sounds and feel like flat spot on tires

I've had this problem for few months now. It appears to be coming from front or rear passenger side wheels, when I'm on freeway or on high speed. I feel (not strong vibration but enough) and what sounds liek a flat spot on my tires. Faster I go faster the sound and feel. I do take good care of them, check pressure once a week etc...I dont know what it is. I have about 1500 miles left on my factory warranty. FYI 2000 F150 S/C XLT 4X4, 3.55 limited slip, 5.4 liter. Any input will be great. Thanks.

Old 03-27-2003, 05:36 PM
Hello is anyone outthere????

Old 03-28-2003, 02:11 PM
Have you had to slam on the brakes and lock the tires up recently? Have you put oversized tires on the truck? Have you hit a curb hard or smacked one of the wheels. (Try having someone drive behind and to the sides of your truck at the speeds you feel the vibration to see if a rim is bent) Maybe a weight fell off the rim and with 4X4 tires it would really vibrate. Take it to a shop for balancing.
Good Luck,

Brian

Old 03-28-2003, 09:12 PM
Unless you hit the brakes and skidded a good distance you do not have any flat spots on the tires. Radial tires do not get flat spots, even if they sit in one position for weeks.

You could have a bent rim, or check your lug nuts and insure they are tight.

Old 03-28-2003, 11:17 PM
Well, today I had the tires rotated and balanced and still have the problem. One thing I've noticed was the tire on the passenger side front appeared to be little feathered on the tread. I am thinking it might be alignment issue with front susp. I will check in with alignment shop Monday to see if that is the cause. Anyways, I was also thinking if the cause(s) might be with bearings or driveshaft, what you all think?

Old 03-30-2003, 05:50 PM
SHOCKS!

Feathering on the tire happened on my truck , the shocks were gone. The feathering you describe is caused usually by the front end of the truck lifting and falling from wind on the front of the truck and lack of resistance , or pressure from the shocks to keep the tire in constant contact and stable on the road.Your tire will settle down after about 5000 miles..it will wear in and be round again. If under warranty , definitely make some noise if your shocks are the cause!!

Good Luck

Sty

Quick Reply: sounds and feel like flat spot on tires