SuperCrew

Factory Crank on Torsion Bars

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 04:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Factory Crank on Torsion Bars

This is just for my own information, so any input would be appreciated:

I noticed a lot of threads about people cranking the torsional bars on their F150s. I recently installed 285/17 BFGoodrich MudTerrains on my 2002 FX4 rims, and they fit fine and look great. But I wanted to raise the front in order to get a more level stance on the truck. Since I have read various threads on getting the torsion bars cranked, I took my truck in to get them cranked also (about 1 inch). First I took my truck to Desert Rat, and they said I couldn't crank the bars anymore as they were already pretty well maxed out from the factory. I thought they were wrong about that, so I took my truck to a second shop, and they told me the same thing. Apparently, my truck's factory setting only has about 3/4 inches remaining on the thread, so there isn't much room for anything more.

So my question is, did anyone else experience this or did I buy the only F150 that has factory torsion bars already near max?

Old 12-01-2002, 04:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if i'm not mistaken, youre supercrew (fx4 version), the torsion bar is already cranked because it's the "offroad version" or whatever. so it has already been done, for a lift you will have to get a kit

Old 12-01-2002, 08:42 AM
Mountain Cat,

Check out this thread, you have to do a search to find info on this site, it's real easy once you learn how to get the search engine to do what you want and it's invaluable when finding articles and info that's been discussed over and over already.

Good luck and please comment on the torsion bar thread to keep it current where it can be easily reviewed.

Also, if you've got 3/4" of thread remaining on your torsion bar adjustment screws, then you have more adjustment still to raise the truck and my guess would be 1-2 inches additional at the front wheels. I've heard of folks adjusting the torsion bars until there are no threads left, in other words as far as possible.

4x4 Torsion Bar Adjustment Thread

Later,

~DM~

Old 12-01-2002, 10:57 PM
Smile

Thanks sporkdevil and Daveman! I guess I thought 3/4 inches of thread wasn't enough to get much lift and didn't want to ruin the ride, but I might give it a try. Also, thanks for link D! By the way, nice rig Daveman. We have both have great tastes in toolboxes.

Old 12-06-2002, 11:55 PM
I just checked my torsion bars, as I wanted to level out the truck, but mine are almost maxed out also.

There are only 2 threads showing on the drivers side, and 5 showing on the passenger side. The truck seems level from side to side right now by my measurements in the wheel wells.

Doug.

Old 12-07-2002, 01:36 AM
Hi DougS:

Sporkdevil may have something there since your SC and my Screw both have the FX4 package, while Daveman has the KR but had room to significantly level his. Would be interesting if other FX4 owners checked to see if they also have limited room for adjustment. Not that it matters since we can't do much about it anyway. Think someone could make a fortune designing and selling a front-end leveling kit for the F150? <hmmmmmm>

Old 12-07-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by DougS
There are only 2 threads showing on the drivers side, and 5 showing on the passenger side. The truck seems level from side to side right now by my measurements in the wheel wells.

Doug.
I was looking at my 02 FX4 SCrew today and noticed the same thing--have 3 threads on drivers side and 5 on passenger side. Measurements from side to side in the front--even and side to side to side on the rear--even.

Kind of odd that they aren't even--I'm not worried about it as it sits level and there's one if not thousands of FX4 SCrew's probably the same way.

Trending Topics

Old 12-07-2002, 10:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless someone believes that the engine and front of the truck are completely weight balanced right to left... this would seem normal.

Old 12-07-2002, 11:55 PM
My old truck, (2000 F-150 with the "old" Off Road package, not FX4) had lots of room to adjust the torsion bars. I don't remember now how much, but I did raise the front end on that truck with still room to spare on the adjustment.

Doug.

Old 12-08-2002, 12:27 PM
I just cranked my bars on Friday. Took measurements first and the driver's side was slightly lower than the passenger side. I did notice that the bolt on the driver's side had a lot of thread for adjustment while the passenger side was much less.

Ii did 2 full turns and raised the front 1/2". The front is now 1/2" lower than the rear and truck is level from side to side.

Old 03-11-2003, 01:54 PM
Just to make everyone aware of something when you CRANK UP your torsion bars it does and will affect the alignment so you really do need to keep an eye on your tire wear when and if you do crank the torsion bars up.

Richard D.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=2479

Quick Reply: Factory Crank on Torsion Bars