SuperCrew

Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advice

I currently own a 93 Ranger. Ive been real happy with it, had it for allmost 10 years. But now im ready to move up to a REAL truck. I test drove a fully loaded 4x4 supercrew lariet and pretty much fell in love. Im not ready to buy yet, gonna pay off our car first but will be buying in the next year.

I cant decide wheter I should get a 4x4 or not. Ive never owned a 4x4 before and NO I probably dont need it. But if you think about it i dont NEED a new truck. The only thing that makes me want the 4x4 is just the way it looks. Just much cooler in my opinion than the 4x2. I also want the 5.4 liter v8.

My question is, is there anyone out there that regrets getting a 4x4 or the 5.4? Is the loss in gas mileage really worth it? Should I just be practicle and get the 4x2 with the 4.6 and save on insurance and gas mileage?

O yeah one more thing. By the time im ready to buy the 2004's will be out. Should I hold out for a 2004 or will that be the perfect time to get a 2003? Any big improvements that I will be missing out on?

Thanks for you time

TOm

Old 11-27-2002, 07:50 PM
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=95280

Check out this thead. It has a sketch of the 2004 F150's.

Old 11-27-2002, 07:59 PM
Cool

Reminds me of the TONKA concept truck.

Hope its not too pricey!

Tom

Old 12-01-2002, 12:57 AM
The answer to your problem.

I have a '01 SuperCrew 4x4 Lariat, completely loaded, and I'm loving it. The 5.4 liter V8 is so much better than the 4.6 The gas mileage isn't the greatest but I have a K&N Filter in it, and It gets about 19 mpg on the highway. I'll be honest I probably didn't need a 4wd, but once you drive it around you never look back at the 2wd. In my opinion the 4x4 just looks, feels, and rides better than anything out there. Hopefully this helps persuade you, haha!

Old 12-01-2002, 10:42 AM
Thumbs up

I traded out of my 2000 Ranger extended cab, 4x4. I liked that truck alot, it was better than the 2wd Ranger that I had b4 it and at that time I wished I had gotten the 4wd drive in the first place, even on the ranger the 4wd just rode and handled much better,recently I went to the SCrew 4wd, now I know this is what I should've done all along, even with the 5 1/2' bed you get more bed space (wider) plus more than enough room and comfort in the cab.

IMHO --- DO IT!!

Last edited by familyman; 12-02-2002 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-01-2002, 04:33 PM
If you hold out untill the new 04's hit the streets , I'm sure their will be lots of late model F-150's comming up for sale ... theirs a very good chance that someone on this board will be trading in theirs and lives close to you . I'm sure everyone on this board takes VERY good care of their trucks!
If you do go for the 4X2 get the limited slip axle , it should get you most any place that you would be willing to take a $30,000+ dollar truck. And go for the 5.4 !

Old 12-02-2002, 08:46 PM
my opinion is most people rarely need 4x4, but when you need it, you NEED it! The difference between 4x4 and 2wd w/ LS is night and day (btw, whatever you buy 2x, 4x, ALWAYS get Limited Slip).

I would also spend the extra $ for the 5.4L

Another must have is the towing package, even if you don't plan on towing anything. The tranny cooler alone is worth it.

Another way to look at it is this: you can help pull people out of ditches for a little pocket cash, ride height/visibility is better, resale is better, looks better. If you get stuck in a 2wd you better have a winch, a cell phone or good walking shoes. Drive your 4x4 like a 2wd and if you get stuck you can usually put it in 4Lo and get yourself back to higher ground.

Trending Topics

Old 12-02-2002, 10:56 PM
Spring for the 5.4 and the 4X4. You won't be sorry. This advice is from a 2X4, 4.6 owner who is happy with his truck but wishes he'd gone for the real deal. My truck is everything I'd want it to be BUT I always wonder "what if".
You have no idea how much I hate to admit that !!!!!!!

Old 12-03-2002, 06:21 PM
Thanks

Thanks for all the advice.

All I got to do now is pay off my wifes car! I figure one year from now and I will be driving one!

I want a screw so bad I can taste it.

Tom

Old 12-03-2002, 08:08 PM
I convinced my self I didn't "need" a 4x4 for years even though I wanted one. After I got stuck in my backyard for the 10th time and my brother-in-law pulled me out with his 4x4 without spinning a wheel, I decided to get one.

I liked it so much I bought my wife one too and that's all I'll buy now. Besides the obvious mud, snow, and ice, 4x4 came in handy in places I never even thought of. Pulling the boat up a wet ramp, driving across grass and soft ground without tearing it up or having to get a run at it, pulling a horse trailer up hill on a gravel road without throwing rocks at the trailer, etc. And of course, 4x4 doesn't make sense without a limited slip axle

I also would not get a Supercrew 4x4 with anything but the 5.4. Besides, the gas milage difference, in my experience (I've had both the 4.6 and the 5.4 in 4x4's) is not that much. In fact, the 5.4 Supercrew I have now, gets better milage than the 4.6 Extended Cab I had before. But there is a big difference in tourque and power.

I've never regretted getting a 4x4 or the 5.4.

Quick Reply: Need some advice