SuperCrew

Bed Caps

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 04:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bed Caps

I have seen a lot of advice on this board about tonneau covers and fiberglass tonneaus, but hardly anything on full fiberglass or aluminum caps. I do lots of hunting and carry a lot of gear for me and my sons and grandsons. Does any one have any preferences for caps for the S-Crews, or is there some reason for so few mentions of this type of cap. Any drawbacks, besides weight and vision? I am trying to decide between a full cap or one of the rollup tonneaus. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-20-2002, 12:27 AM
I put the Pace/Edwards roll top on me Supercrew, and love it. I can still carry tall items, such as 4 wheeler, lawn mower, etc. Just went on a weekend trip, and was able to put luggage in the bed and lock it up. I do get a couple of drops of rain that wets the inside of the tailgate but not a problem. Everyone that has seen it is impressed. Cost me just under $700 to get it shipped to me, was able to install in about 4hrs including wiring up the light.

Old 11-22-2002, 09:58 AM
Papadb10,

You need to decide what best suits your needs. If you haul alot of big stuff, then the roll tonneaus might be better for you.

I put a cap on mine, because we do some camping and use the SCrew as our family trip vehicle.

I put a A.R.E. cap on. Their link is: http://www.4are.com

Good luck!!

Old 11-22-2002, 11:03 AM
TheKBrowns is right. Decide why you want a cover, and what you intend to load in the bed. From there, you can figure out what meets your needs. I went with a Retrax retractable cover.

My primary goal was security. This ruled out any soft covers. My second goal was to retain the ability to load oversized objects in the bed, such as my ATV or furniture. This ruled out a full cap and a fiberglass lid. That didn't leave much to choose from. I know of three retractable hard cover manufacturers - PaceEdwards, RollNLock, and Retrax. I looked at them and went with what I decided was the best product, and have been extremely satsified with it.

Let me know if you have any questions about it.

Old 11-22-2002, 10:58 PM
papadb10...

Just ordered a cap today, as a matter of fact. Went with the A.R.E. Z series. I wanted something that our dog could ride in and keep him dry if it rains, also keep my surfboards secure. I checked out a bunch of caps and the A.R.E and the Snugtop, IMO make the cleanest looking ones. Unfortunately, they're both expensive. Out the door mine was $1600...Snugtop is a bit more. But I hate to skimp when it comes to my truck. I paid almost 25 for it, why go with a cheesy looking accessory just to save a few hundred bucks...

BW

Old 11-23-2002, 09:32 AM
secrewforsurf is right on the money, the ARE Z series is the best cap. I also have a dog that I want to keep high and dry. Hauling furniture is not a frequent mission for me (and if it was, I'd just remove the top -- a tougher process than it sounds). You won't go wrong with an ARE Z series. Better warranty and components than Leer. I have mine on the wish list for the tax return this year.

Old 11-23-2002, 07:20 PM
ARE Z Series :)

Hey PappaDB,

I got a ARE Z series in the summer. I paid $1,400 for it(had interior carpeted). I am very pleased with the look and have had several good comments.

I hunt as well and I like the fact that I do not need to load all my gear in the rear seats.

Hope that helps.

Supercrew1
Roanoke, VA

Trending Topics

Old 11-24-2002, 07:22 AM
Exclamation

I went with the Leer 100xq. Just had it installed yesterday. Nice paint match and seems like a quality piece. Looks real good on the truck. I got a good "cash" price of $950 installed. Good luck!---Paul.

Old 11-24-2002, 08:51 AM
I just added an A.R.E. shell. Inside is lined to keep from getting fiberglass splinters. Rear side windows are hinged in front and swing out.

Perfect paint match. They even give you a jar of touch up paint from the batch they used to paint the cap.

Check out my Gallery for pics.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...w.cfm?num=2984

Last edited by Thumpernator; 11-24-2002 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-25-2002, 03:01 PM
Thumbs up Leer pics.

papadb10-
Copy and paste the link for my galleries in my signature. I just added pics of my new Leer cap. Hope this will help you out! Good luck---Paul

Quick Reply: Bed Caps