SuperCrew

SCrew Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face SCrew Acceleration

Got a beautiful 2002 XLT SCrew with the 4.6L V8. I know it's underpowered since I had the same size in a '98 XLT Regular Cab but I figured I could live without the extra acceleration that the 5.4L delivers since I'm not into street racin'. Well, you get what you pay for. On the way to work this a.m., I was out-accelerated by a big 2000-something GM Conversion Van who was trying to cut me off. We were doing about 25mph on a city street with no traffic and by the time he beat me we were doing 50mph. I took it in stride but came to the realization that if there's a next time for this situation, I will fall in line in back of the "perp" . Just a reality check.

Old 11-08-2002, 05:06 PM
Zyg
What size tires do you have? I find the stock 3:55's with the P265/17 make for a pretty tall ratio. Even worse now that I put 33's on but I am going to remedy that 4:10's

Old 11-10-2002, 04:30 AM
I had a '97 SC 4x4 with the 4.6L 3.55 LS and 16" rims with standard tires. That truck had neck snapping acceleration, but the engine pooped out above 55 mph. Everybody who drove it thought it had a larger engine until the drove it at 55 mph and tried to pass or go uphill.

Old 11-10-2002, 11:30 AM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
I had a 97 SC 4x4 with the 4.6, 3.55 rear and 16's, neck snapping would not be my description of the acceleration. My wife's 6 cylinder Honda van would leave it in the dust stoplight to stoplight.
My 02 SCrew 4x4 with the 4.6, 3.73 rear and 17's is a bit better, but no blvd. street racer. I really like the 4.6, but the 5.4 is the way to go it you want some zip in your ride.

Old 11-10-2002, 01:03 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: SCrew Acceleration

Originally posted by greyhound24
<snip>I could live without the extra acceleration that the 5.4L delivers since I'm not into street racin'.
<snip>
I was out-accelerated by a big 2000-something GM Conversion Van who was trying to cut me off. We were doing about 25mph on a city street with no traffic and by the time he beat me we were doing 50mph.
You say you are not a street racer, and then try doing it ?( in all realality that it what you were doing playing the you're not getting in front of me game ).

If you were aware of this, and got the heavier truck with the same engine as before why are you asking this ?

Look at the weights of the SCab vs the SCrew, I think there is a few 100 additional lbs on the SCrew then the SCab, if memory serves me correctly.

If you don't qualify this as street racing, then you need to start piling some mods on it, Cat back, intake, maybe a half shaft on the TB, and a chip.

These are all really cool mods, as I have most of them ( no half shaft yet ) to my 5.4. I do this as a hobby, not as a street racer.

When I am in a merge, I let the fool playing I don't want to be behind you in front of me. He made it all of 22' farther then myself..if that makes his day..then he has a real sad life.
I am more then willing to let his megar existance have that one victory.
It is a big shame when this is what makes a person happy.

Look to the mods a few have some real snappy 4.6's and even some 4.2's that would put my 5.4 to shame ( Talley for one ).

Like you said you get what you pay for. Pay for it when you get the truck, or pay for it in mods after the fact. I did both

Old 11-10-2002, 02:17 PM
My Bro-in-law's Ext cab w/4.6 has got as much acceleration as my 5.4. his runs real good for some reason. he has driven other 4.6's that don't run like his. he jus got a good one

Old 11-10-2002, 02:26 PM
i drove a 97 van conversion to tahoe a few weeks ago and then to sf. its a frined of mine that is hendicaped. and i wish my 5.4 had the power that thing has. its very impressive. criuseing up some very steep hills at 70. with alot of throttle still. it makes me think about road testing one of them ugly gm trucks. hehehehe maybe gm does something to the vans i dont know. but every time i drive that thing up a hill i wonder where it gets all of that power. and with five adults, and one in a wheel chair and a lift ramp. so it wasnt empty.

Quick Reply: SCrew Acceleration