SuperCrew

Q's about my new 03 Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 08:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q's about my new 03 Lariat

I picked up my new 03 SuperCab Lariat at the dealer the other day. Black (is there really any other color?) with medium graphite heated Captian's chairs, 4.6, Premium 6 pack CD, chrome tube steps, box liner, bug deflector and hard top A.R.E. cover to come. A sweet looking ride!

Question: According to the Ford media site http://media.ford.com/products/press...421&make_id=92

2003 Lariat's, KR's and SCrews are supposed to have a heated rear window. For the life of me I can't see how this window can be heated. There is no control for it. There is no apparent wires in the glass and so far, it is too warm to even verify it works at all. Can someone shed some light on this for me please?

Question: I am in Canada and mine was built in Oakville. I have the EATC HVAC system which is great, but this old dinosaur really prefers good ol Fahrenheit over Celsius. In my Lincoln LS I could change the display from one to the other. Can anyone tell me if there's a way of doing this on my truck?

Question: I have the Premium in-dash 6 pack CD which is nice. Again (yeah I know it's not a Lincoln) in my LS, I could set the audio system to speed sensitive volume so that it would increase as the speed did and decrease as you slowed down. Anyone know if this is possible?

I can't see any reference to any of these issues in the manual.

Finally, this is the first PU I have had for about 10 years and while I know these things are designed to haul stuff, I find the ride very choppy being that the truck is being driven empty. Would a few bags of sand in the back smooth it out a bit. The city roads here are just terrible and when this thing get a bouncing, these ol' kidneys can only take so much:-)

Thanks for any help. Hopefully I can post a few picks when I get some time.

Grampa Kinny

Old 10-03-2002, 10:17 AM
Regarding the heated rear window, I think someone mentioned in another thread that feature won't actually be implemented until later in the year. (Of course, it took more than two years for Ford to come through with the power rear slider -- so I wouldn't hold my breath on that one! ) So I'm guessing you probably don't even have any wiring/controls installed.

My 2001 manual addresses the other two issues, so if the procedure is different now someone correct me:

Speed sensitive volume adjustment -- w/ the radio on, press and hold Vol. control for five seconds, then use the up/down SEL button to adjust the compensation.

For the temp. display in the overhead console, just keep pressing Select until it shows in the F or C scale you desire.

Good luck!

edit: Oh, as far as the ride goes -- you answered your own question, it's a pickup! I've found that a little extra weight back there can help, but the end result is it's still a truck. Relatively speaking though, it's the best riding truck I've ever owned...

Last edited by fritoz; 10-03-2002 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-03-2002, 11:01 AM
Fritoz:

Thanks very much for the reply! The speed sensitive volume worked exactly as you said - good stuff!

Because I have the EATC control system, the outside temperature is not displayed in the overhead display, it is shown in the EATC panel. The only thing I get in the overhead is the directional compass. I did try holding the button and the only thing I can seem to change is the VAR and CAL settings for the compass.

I have an email into Ford to see what they have to say about the rear window issue as I would sure like to have that considering I don't have a rear window defogger - It wasn't even an option as far as I know which seems strange for this level of truck.

Again, thanks for the help!

Grampa Kinny

Old 10-04-2002, 07:45 AM
Just an inside note from Kansas City, we are to launch this new option per build on 10/07 inregards to the rear heated window option you mentioned above.

Showya

Old 10-04-2002, 08:11 AM
Showya:

Thanks for the reply.

I received a reply from Ford today (am impressed with the quick rersponse) which advised me that the heated rear window is standard on the Lariat and King Ranch "SuperCrew". After going over the text in the Ford release I must concede that it does in fact say that. I had mistakenly thought it said Lariat, King Rand "and" SuperCrew. I have a SuperCab. Oh well live and learn....

Grampa Kinny

Old 10-04-2002, 08:16 AM
This is an option I heard of regarding the launch of the 2003 HD Supercrew for Nov. I am sure they will be like the power rear slider, Ford will test them in house before going to dealer with units with these options.

Showya

Old 10-04-2002, 10:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remember, you posted in the SuperCrew forum... and the SuperCrew ride is completely different from the SuperCab. I moved from a 1999 Supercab to a 2001 SuperCrew and the difference is very noticable. Probably has to do with better weight distribution (bigger cab transfers more weight to rear).

Quick Reply: Q's about my new 03 Lariat