SuperCrew

Sliding Rear Window Rubber Seal

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to my dealer, they knew they had problems with these windows. They have upgraded the window a couple of times. I had the old window, my dealer put in a new window in. That was a month ago. I have a power slider so I use the window alot. So far so good. If you want I can give you the number to my service rep here in Michigan. Ford Knows they have a problem with some of these. Dont take no as an answer!

Old 10-14-2003, 08:37 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not that this matters to anyone that is inside of warranty but, I wrote a pretty in-depth 'how-to' on taking care of the leaky rear window that has become a prevalent issue on our trucks.

See it here: LEAKY REAR SLIDER FIX

Email me w/ questions.

RP

Old 10-14-2003, 11:28 AM
Well, looks like I am going to end up with another 02 style rubber seal (between the cab and the window).

I got no where with Ford customer service, or the dealership's assistant service manager, and service manager. Unless there is a TSB or Ford recognized issue with the seals, the dealer has to put in what Ford recommends: the 02 style trim. The dealer orders by VIN.

I guess I could contact the district rep, but quite honestly the red tape and hearing the same thing over and over again (no) is wearing me down.

This will be my third window and seal, counting the original factory one. Never had a known leak, just the slider window weatherstrip being loose, and the cab to window seal receeding showing a nasty gap on mostly the upper left corner.

I told all the Ford employees I spoke to that if every owner who calls about this issue got the same run around I got, it would never show up as a problem/TSB because they just claim they have no record of others having the same problem.

I fully expect that sometime during the next year, the window will be up to the same old tricks. I cannot see why Ford would not put the upgraded part in...it would have to be cheaper for them (than continous repairs) and less aggravating for the customer!

Old 10-16-2003, 07:22 AM
One last question on this window and I will let this thread die. How many 02 SCrew owners live with the upper left rear window seal looking like this and don't have leaks, nor mind the apperance (oh yeah, these pictures are the day AFTER replacement and seal already receeding)?

In my opinion, we need to make enough complaints about these crappy seals so that Ford 'recalls' them, or at least upgrades those seals owners complain about!

Last edited by tbbr; 10-16-2003 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:58 AM
Moderator &

I had precisely the same thing happen.

The problem you're experiencing is due to design. When I had mine replace (mine is a 2001), they replaced the rear window with the mid/late 2002 design (I bet you have a very early 2002 model) which doesn't have that gasket to sink in behind the glass. It's more of a seal that actually fits around the fiberglass portion of the glass.

Tell them that you want the 2003 glass put in your truck and it will eliminate your problem.

RP

Old 10-16-2003, 11:01 AM
Thanks Rockpick. That is exactly what I want (the new style),,,and yes you are right, I bought my 02 truck 11/2001, so it is an early one.

I just got back from a second local dealer who also said there is not much of a way around ordering by VIN. Not sure how others are pulling that off, but sure wish I could!

At the first local dealer, even when I offered to pay the difference in cost, if any, between the old seal and the 03 seal, thay said could not do it under warranty! I asked for the 03 style 'by name'.

So far, two local dealers won't upgrade my seal. I am thinking about buying the part myself (about $142), at some point, and have it installed by a glass shop. I hate that old seal that much.

I will first try to exhaust the freebie/warranty method before I take that step though....

Old 10-16-2003, 02:02 PM
Moderator &

When I had mine replaced, the service writer told me that it was standard practice to use the new style now and that they had discontinued the old one... maybe that was just a BS line but, none the less, I got the new style.

RP

Old 07-11-2017, 12:29 PM
rear slide weather stripping help.

anyone still have their truck that can post a pic of how the weather striping should look. I just bought a used one and am trying to fix this problem correctly. it seems I have gaps in the corners. but would like a photo of the stripping in tact to go off of. thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: Sliding Rear Window Rubber Seal