SuperCrew

ARE Z Series cap

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARE Z Series cap

Just in case anyone needed to load a full size box spring, and has an ARE Z series cap. It don't fit. I was able to bend the mattress in but not the box spring. Ended up having to strap it to the top of the cap.

Old 09-22-2002, 03:35 PM
Nukescrew,

How do you like your Z series? I am interested in getting a top for my '03 SC. What do you find as pros and cons. Other members who have Z series tops (or the like) feel free to reply.

Old 09-22-2002, 09:58 PM
Marc,

I think that the Z series is the best looking cap made for the Screw. I paid 1250 with tax. Two problems that I have with the cap: In bright light there are two small spots that have a grayish tint (black cap), and the molding (bottom) on the front driver side corner has popped up. I need to take the cap back to have the installer look at both. Another problem is that if you have a bed extender it hits the locking latches on the cap so you can't flip it out. Still, I do like everything else about the cap.

Old 09-22-2002, 11:00 PM
I have an ARE Z series on my 2001. I've had it two years. By far the best looking cap for a supercrew. Two things I would change if I could. The bottom of the cap is narrower than the top of the box at the door. This has caused me problems a couple of times when trying to load something into the truck. Second the back door doesn't make a very good seal at the bottom where it meets the tailgate. If I could I might consider changing the design with the way leer does it. This really hasn't caused a problem. It just looks kind of flimsy and snow or rain can get in.

The finish has held up very well there are no blemishes on it. It matches the truck perfectly. When I got it there were only 2 makers of caps for the Supercrew. ARE and I think Century. I liked the look of the ARE much better.

Old 09-23-2002, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Marc STewart
What do you find as pros and cons. Other members who have Z series tops (or the like) feel free to reply.
Only functional problem I have is the bed extender has to be un-mounted to "flip" with the Cap on. (I believe someone said that the extender does not flip with any style cap mounted.) If I had somewhere to store the bed extender it would not be on my truck. I have had no water get into the bed with the Cap mounted. (I even leave the front window open.)

The side molding (between windows) had to be replaced. They get real hot (and soft) in the Atlanta sun. I am sure it was the heat that made the glue give. They replaced it under warranty.

Old 09-25-2002, 01:23 PM
I recommend the Z cap as well. I had mine since December 2000 and no problems with fit or finish. I had two Glasstite ones before the Z cap and neither fit. It was at least an inch bigger all around.

John

Old 09-25-2002, 03:35 PM
Jeraco Caps

I have a Jeraco on my truck and am very pleased with it. I think it was around $900 for the cab high deluxe model with luggage rack. This cap will allow you to use the bed extender in the normal fashion - flipping it around. You don't have to remove the bed extender to use it.

I have a picture of my truck with the cap in my gallery with the link below - 4.6supercrew.

Here are links to Jeraco and the dealer I bought it from. The dealer has prices posted.

http://www.jeraco.com/

http://www.trucknamerica.com/jeraco_caps.htm

Good Luck!

Trending Topics

Old 09-27-2002, 12:33 AM
I had an top of the line Astro topper until the first of the month(sept). Due to the accident I had, I have to replace it. I've ordered a Z series just to try something different. The astro looked like the ARE with the exception being that the astro had a push button latch. With the headliner, flip down rear slider and crank out windows the price is around $1500. That's what I paid for the astro with the sport rack included. That item will be transferred to the new topper.
The only real complaint I had with the astro topper was that the sides seemed to bulge out a bit from the rails. I'll have to see if the ARE does that as well.
Steve

Old 09-27-2002, 09:27 PM
I have the Leer 100xq, and like it a lot. The fit is great, no complaints.

Rick

Old 09-28-2002, 12:46 PM
leer

Do you have any pictures of the leer on your truck. I would love to see how it looks. Leer has the reputation of being the best you can mount on your truck but their site has terrible graffics and I cant really tell how they look.
Shane
02supercrew

Old 09-28-2002, 09:08 PM
Here's a link to my pics, I,ll see it I can get hold of a digital camera this week and post a few more.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...y.cfm?gnum=898

Rick

Quick Reply: ARE Z Series cap