SuperCrew

wrecked, need new front grill

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wrecked, need new front grill

Last night I smashed into an old Chevy truck at about 25mph. I don't think he had brake lights but I'm not positive and nobody was hurt and the airbag did not go off. We pulled over but as soon as I got out, he took off. Don't know if he didn't have a license, was drinking or whatever but he apparently didn't want to be a part of it, even though my past experience with insurarce company leads me to think we'd just have to pay for the damage to our own vehicles.

Anyway here's the issue. The front end is bashed in pretty good and the drivers door now "rubs" a bit, other than that it's not too bad. I have a 4x2 and have been thinking about adding the foglight valence, etc for the front. Now seems to be a good time to do that. Any suggestions on dealing with insurance co. (Progressive) to get that done and where I'd find the grill for a good price?

Thanks

Old 08-28-2002, 10:11 AM
Well as far as your insurance goes it kinda depends on your situation and theirs. I've claimed a broken window $800 on insurance with no problems. HAd to pay the $100 deductable. The insurance company can up your rate if they want if you do claim it. Things to weigh are how much is the reapair gonna cost, what is your history with the insurance company, what is your own history as far as tickets and such. IF you have a good record and reputation with the insurance company and the repair is gonna be expensive, I would inquire about it with the insurance company.

After claiming the window on insurance, about a year later I had another minor accident that the Ins had to pay out damages to another car. My rates went up then. No traffic citations were involved. I have heard stories about people getting dropped by some companies after the same type of circumstances.

As far as the parts, I don't have any good input on that.

Old 08-28-2002, 12:57 PM
Parts

As far as a new "grill" (also "grille") - check eBay. I've been watching for a custom grill and I am forever seeing OEM grilles up for auction. I'm not sure about your other parts but eBay is a good place to start. Make sure you spell it both ways (F150 and F-150 .... grill and grille). Good luck.

Old 08-28-2002, 01:06 PM
If you make a claim with your insurance you will need to file a police report. If you didn't file a report at the time of the accident be prepared to explain why to the police. Most states require all accidents to be reported at the time they happen and at the scene. Progressive is one of the better companies out there. Of course any claims paid will be subject to your deductible. You could skip reporting it and foot the bill yourself. That way your rates will not go up as I am sure your insurance company will view you as the "at fault" driver.

Mike

Old 08-28-2002, 01:10 PM
He drove away as soon as you pulled over? you mean right after he backed into your truck

Old 08-28-2002, 02:12 PM
If you got his plate number then he is at fault regardless, that is leaving the scene of an accident even if there are no injuries or damage. Oh well, stuff happens and I would advise you to not tell your insurance company unless its a lot of money like close to or over a $1000. Its just a pain to deal with them and expensive in the long run.

Quick Reply: wrecked, need new front grill