SuperCrew

better take-off?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
better take-off?

Hi everybody, I have a 2002 4x4, 5.4 Automatic kranch i have the chip installed and borla exhaust and airforce one! What a diffrence! Midrange and shifting improved as well as topend and higher RPM'S.
Well, the take-off speed is still less than stellar,granted i know this vehicle wieghs in at a meaty 6700+ pounds. What is the next mod i need to make to better this conditon,Pullys, MAF, Bigger throttle body?? Also i thought the other day that i got a little tire spin upshifting to second i was excited!! but come to find out i think my belt is squealing like a pig! Is there a better belt out there?I have 1500 miles on it so far.
So other than a charger what else can i do (within price reason im not a millionaire) show me some sites or better your opions if you have any of these installed.
Thanks.
P.s. I would post this on the King Ranch site but They are more into keeping it clean and adding beauty stuff, they dont do many engine mods (I know ill here about this from rock)

Old 08-18-2002, 12:13 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hahaha, yup. Rockpick lurks!

Nah, I agree with you. We're a bunch of 'keep it pretty' freaks over there.

There are a couple that can probably help you out that lurk on the King Ranch forum however. Troyk, daveman, and dufunnel are all great contacts on all general questions.

Me, I can't help. I'm useless under the hood.

Keeping the paint perfect and the leather like a baby's butt... now that I can handle and handle well.

Good luck shard.... and remember... I'm always watching.... LMAO!

RP

Old 08-18-2002, 12:15 PM
10-4 good buddy i see your inside keeping cool like me!!!

Old 08-20-2002, 12:59 PM
Not sure about better take off but, I'm installing electric fans this weekend.....we'll see what they accomplish...as far as the belt slipping after chip install...read this thread...

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...=belt+slipping

Old 08-20-2002, 02:09 PM
The belt thing is from the chip. The chip adds more power but mainly it removes the shift delay in the transmission. So the engin is going from a high RPM back down to a low RPM really quickly when the truck goes from first to second.

I got this right after I put my chip in and I still get it when I go wide open throttle. Personally I don't mind as it sound cool!

Old 08-20-2002, 02:43 PM
I have the belt squeal too, and I have read around here that having the belt and belt tensioner replaced under warranty fixes the problem, although I think I will go with the gatorback belt too just to avoid the dealer. As for other mods, I have about the same setup you do except I also added Gibson headers, and as far as I have found the only noticeable difference you have left is a supercharger. That is my next mod. Anything else will be minimal and will not be noticeable anymore.

Feel free to ask me anything about my King Ranch, as I have the most modded up one on the board here.

Old 08-20-2002, 04:24 PM
dufunnel, your the other one I was thinking of with that huge signature. I just gave RockPick a bad time about his (that he has now changed) so it's only fair to RockPick to give you a bad time.

No hard feelings, just kinda anoying as your signature is like 2 pages long.

Now on to repling to your message... If you were to put in a supercharger, wouldn't that create too much horse power/torque for the transmission (i belive RW70 or something like that). The lightning has the upgraded trany because of the supercharger.

This would be a major concern of mine. I was reading that the Holley supercharger/innercooler will put out 400 HP at the flywheel with no exaust of air filter mods.

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...S/300-520.html

Trending Topics

Old 08-20-2002, 09:05 PM
Screw Weight... 6700+????

Hey shard7301, are you sure your Screw weights 6700+; mine only weights 5300?

Old 08-21-2002, 10:46 AM
GEARS!!! My 99 had 3.73's and what a difference over the 3.55's...it was extremely quick off the line. 4.11's would be even better, then you could go to a 285 tire and still have good gearing.

Old 08-21-2002, 11:19 AM
I'm not sure about the 4x4's, but the 4x2's weigh 4600 pounds stock, and mine with bigger wheels and a cap bring it to about 5000. I can't imagine that the 4x4's would weigh that much more than the 4x2's.

Old 08-21-2002, 09:07 PM
i kid you not!

i double check the sticker on the door, and it says right by the date it was made it says GVWR 6750lbs /3061kg
Now am i reading this right or am i an idiot and not seeing the light on something.
Dufunnal the supercharger sounds right but the tranny may not hold it all. was thinking of that electric fan kit and pullys.

Old 08-21-2002, 09:58 PM
The GVWR stands for Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. In other words, it means how much the whole truck can weigh - cargo and all... safely.

Old 08-21-2002, 10:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: better take-off?

shard7301 ,
For quicker take off, a few things come to mind.
1. gear change out, but watch your millage at higer highway speeds.
2. Electric Fans, this will give the engine a quicker rev then with the fan. I noticed this when I first cranked it up after installing the FAL 270 kit.
3. After market MAFS and T/B get a dyno pull w/ A/F ratio check. Look over this, as the A/F ratio could be way out of wack, running lean, causing at least excessive engine heat. Just somthing to watch for, as the MAFS or T/B or the combo of the 2 might toss things out of wack.

Those are the 3 "easy" things to look at for quicker take offs ( I am leaving out tire size, I am assuming that you have the size you want right now ).

If you look to a S/C for quicker take offs, you would want to look at a roots type S/C. I am not one to recomend a mfgr, but you can check with skid or crash on this, they have the straight dirt on it.
All in all, it is a 4x4 and it will never take off like a L

Old 08-22-2002, 07:45 PM
Talking Make it so!

So you are correct it wont be a "L" Damit all!! But what the hey, thank you for the info sscully im looking into the fan, maf, t/b. I know ill need to get my chip reprogrammed for that ill get with mike. Hey another question comes to mind, what about sway bars, any good or just another expensive toy. Havent herd to much on them.

Old 08-22-2002, 08:07 PM
Ok, how much power does the fan suck from the engine when fully engaged?

I know its around 5 or 10 HP but does it really make that much of a noticable diffrence?

Also how much does an electric fan cost, does it cool just as well as the stock fan, and is it varible speed or is it just running full out all the time?

Plus I have heard on some cars with electic fans where they fan runs for a few minutes after the car is stoped. Does this help the cooling system last longer or the engine itself?

Inquiring minds want to know

Quick Reply: better take-off?