SuperCrew

Anybody with 4.6 in Crew

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody with 4.6 in Crew

Just want to hear your comments on the power and to see if you wished you wouyld have got the 5.4. Thanks.

Shane

Old 08-16-2002, 10:40 AM
Shane, I'm not exactly who you want replying, but here's my two cents. Like I posted in another thread, I seriously debated the 4.6 vs the 5.4. I knew that most of my driving would be solo commuting and figured I could get decent performance out of the 4.6 and save a little money.

I finally decided I'd go with the 5.4 just because it's a big truck and if I wanted gas mileage I shouldn't be getting rid of my Tacoma 4 cylinder. I got it 3 weeks ago and have 1600 miles on it after taking it on a vacation in the Sierras. I'm very glad I got the 5.4. I took two adults and 3 kids plus a full load of camping gear all over the mountains, including 9900' Tioga Pass, without a strain. And, I just filled up this morning after going through a full tank since the vacation and my mileage was 16.9.

Old 08-16-2002, 01:12 PM
Well maybe this will help . I have friend that got the 4.6 and loved until he drove mine with the 5.4 before I made any mods. Thats all it took to make him want more power . So he starts on the mods .

Superchip $250.00
FIPK $230.00
MagnaFlow Exhaust $275.00

That got him pretty close to the stock 5.4 power but he has to burn premium gas at 20 cents more a gallon . So for $755.00 in mods and burning premium gas . He got he same performance as if he would have paid the extra $800.00 for the 5.4 . With the stock 5.4 he could have spent the same money on the mods and had gained even more power . Just something to think about when choosing your engine size .

Old 08-16-2002, 03:39 PM
4.6 L

I have the 4.6 L and have made several of the mods that one of the guys above mentioned, that is the AirforceOne FIPK, SuperChip and Gibson Sweptside Exhaust. I like the truck and the engine (especially since the mods). Since I don't tow anything on a regular basis and primarily use it for a back and forth to work truck, it suits me just fine..................that being said, I still wish I would have gone for the 5.4L. Maybe it's a testosterone thing. From what I've seen reported in the message boards over the years, the difference in gas mileage is neglible and having driven a friends truck with the 5.4, it's a noticeable difference in power/torque. Good luck to you. You'll enjoy your truck with either.

Old 08-16-2002, 04:18 PM
4.6L is enough-

Hey, I had the same debate. I have two Fords in my driveway, both powered by the 4.6. My 1999 SCab was a 4.6 too.

I drooled for the 5.4L too, but after riding in my cousins 5.4L Supercrew, test driving a SC w/5.4L and an Expedition w/ 5.4L, I have to tell you- The difference isn't that big.

Just to say you have 30 more horses and 60 more lb.ft of torque, while it looks good, you ave to ask your self if you really need it. I pulled a 4,000# trailer 408 miles with my Expy 4.6L, loaded to the hilt, along with 4 full-sized adults, luggage and two dogs in the vehicle, in drive (not Overdrive) and after some initial hunting by the tranny, I was able to cruise 70 - 80 MPH with trailer on a 96 degree Texas Heat day.... The 5.4 may have done it better, but I passed plenty F-150's without trailers, while towing one on I-20.

Bottom line, it'll make you feel better inside to know you have the 5.4, but if the question is do you need a 5.4, then from what I've read, the answer is no.

Our SuperCrew, with the 4.6, only mods I've mae is a FLowmaster, cat-back dual exhaust, $285.00, and a FK&N air filter, $50.00. My throttle response is much improved, it sound better than a Harley F-150, and if I didn't tell you it was a 4.6L, you wouldn't know it from the drive, ride & feel.

ALso, the only way you'll get a 5.4L SuperCrew for $800 more, is if you order one, because on the lot, that 5.4 is going to come with other stuff you didn't necessarily want, and will end up costing about $2,000 more. Which is why we have a 4.6 now. $2,000 is 5 more payments..... Not worth it to me, but being 3 for 3 with the 4.6 under my command, maybe I'm a bit partial.

Best thing to do.... Go test drive both, and do a seat of the pants Evaluation.

People say you don't buy a F-150 V-8 because you're worried about gas prices/economy. I don't think people buy them because they're looking for a sports car either- For those that are, there's always the Lightning, or a 2003 SC Harley...

Old 08-16-2002, 04:30 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I LOVE THOSE WHEELS HERSH... they look great!

5.4 for me all the way. My dad has a 4.6 and has done nothing but gripe about not having purchased the 5.4 so, I got the 5.4 for one, to rub it in on him and two, because I wanted the added boost.

Just my opinion.

RP

Old 08-16-2002, 04:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The biggest difference is not that the 5.4L has more torque and HP, but where the max horsepower and torque band is. The 5.4L has max horsepower and torque at a much lower rpm (thus usable) and the torque band is much wider (covers a wider range of RPM) I believe. If I recall correctly, max torque and HP are around 2500rpm and this is what makes the 5.4L exceptional. I used to tow a 3500# boat in OD and that makes a big difference in mpg.

This is one reason why the 5.4L competes well with the Chevy engines, the Chevy HP and Torque don't come in until higher RPMS.

HP/torque doesn't do you alot of good on the roads if it only comes in around redline...

I'll second that Hersh, nice wheels... what are they?

Trending Topics

Old 08-16-2002, 05:17 PM
Thumbs up

Ah yes, the age old question, "should I get the 5.4 or the 4.6?"
I believe it all boils down to resale value. In the end the 5.4 will be worth more as a trade in on your next Screw. The only other consideration would be gas mileage, and since there is about 1 mpg difference I don't feel it's worth consideration. My 5.4 runs splendidly on 87 octane Exxon. I am not sure why Ford even makes the 4.6.

Old 08-16-2002, 06:07 PM
I have a 4.6 with a super chip flip chip. The 4.6 by itself with the sloppy Ford transmission is not ok. The transmission modification of the superchip plus the additional performance makes it fine for me. By the way I elected to get the 4.6 back in 2000 when there was a big splash about piston slap in the 5.4. If I did it again I would likely get the 5.4 as it seems reliable as it is now manufactured. I would still likely get the superchip anyway because the difference in the shift pattern of the transmission is so remarkable. Even the 4.6 chipped on regular gas is a great improvement.

Old 08-16-2002, 06:32 PM
Wheels-

The Wheels on my SuperCrew (Above) are Centerline Avengers. 20", wrapped in 275/55/20 Goodyear Eagle LS's.

I'm not anti- 5.4L Had I the money at the time, I would have the 5.4 too (Yes, it's a testosterone thing) but, I can honestly say that the 4.6L has never let me down, not once.... It's a solid engine, one that's been around since 1990-1991 (When the new Mark VIII came out), so I was sure Ford had worked all the bugs out of it by 1999, when I got my first F-150.

The 5.4 engine is nice. (That's the engine they should've put in the Mustang & Marauder) I can tell a 5.4 from a 4.6, just by listening to the engine start... But, in driving one, I just didn't notice that big of a difference. Probably because I had duals on both trucks before either engine was broke in- I love the sound of Flowmasters!

Oh well, to each his or her own.... Here's my other 4.6L powered Ford. (Note: For arguments sake, I wish they only made the 5.4 too- It really made no sense in 1997-1998 when they were only 10 HP difference! Now there's a 29 HP difference and 59 lb/ft... available at a lower RPM, well, both engines are designed to deliver 90% of their peak torque at 1,800 RPM. Something I read on the Ford website)- You'll be happy either way. I'm 3-for-3 with the 4.6L.

Wheels: American Racing Vanguards, Tires: Goodyear Eagle LS, 275/55/20's... (Same as SuperCrew)

Last edited by Bighersh; 08-16-2002 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-16-2002, 08:04 PM
Red face

I think my head is about to explode, after all your replys I think im still just going to get the 4.6. The reason being is that this is basically my wifes truck not mine. Plus I talked to a few people with the 5.4 in there expo's and they said they sucked on gas mileage around 12 or 13 MPG. Plus I will be getting my own truck in a few years and the I will get the 5.4 in mine. Plus I think it scares my wife already to be in such a big truck she is used to cars. I really dont want to give her anymore power to run people over with.

Old 08-16-2002, 08:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as others have said before, Never heard anyone say, "Gosh, wish I had gotten the 4.6L"...

And I agree with the resale statement, but a little differently. A friend of mine in the car business always tells me to load the vehicle for resale. I find it hard to believe that the 5.4L will pull $800 more on resale, it just doesn't happen, but what does is creates a bigger market for resale, not trade in. There will be a larger number of people in the market looking for the 5.4L that will not buy a 4.6L than 4.6L people that won't buy a 5.4L.

The 5.4L will never be an >=$800 add for trade.

Last edited by jryager; 08-16-2002 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-16-2002, 09:11 PM
I've had both, I liked the 4.6, it's get's better gas mileage, but towing sucked. Now with the 5.4, I've towed the same and heavier loads and it's a lot more comfortable. I spend more in gas, but it's well worth it.

Rick

Old 08-16-2002, 09:33 PM
I test drove a couple of SCrews with both the 4.6 and the 5.4. I drove these back to back and without the salesman in there with me (so I could let 'em rip) . I could tell the difference especially on take off.

You guys are right in saying it is mainly a testosterone thing (unless you will be towing).

It boils down to what you want to spend on the truck. Both are great engines and won't let you down. I say test drive them both and choose for yourself.

Good Luck!

Old 08-16-2002, 11:06 PM
I ordered my SuperCrew with the 4.6 in January 2000, took delivery April 2000. After almost 2 1/2 years and 30,000 miles I've never wished I had ordered the 5.4. The 4.6 tows and does everything I need it to do.

Quick Reply: Anybody with 4.6 in Crew