SuperCrew

Replacement Filter Question... K&N/AIRRAID etc..

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Replacement Filter Question... K&N/AIRRAID etc..

Howdy guys!

Let me start off by saying a few things since this is officially my first post here!!! I have been lurking for a long time doing research on for my new truck and man this is a fantastic site for all F150 owners, which leads straight into my second...

While not inteding to buy a new truck for at least another 6 months, I couldn't resist the new trucks and the deals that are going right now.. I purchased (on Jun 31st) and am the proud owner of a 2002 Oxford White with charcoal two tone SCrew XLT 5.4, 4X4, 3.55LS, FX4. Now, I haven't wasted any time getting started on making it MY truck by adding nerf bars and an Alarm with remote start installed the day after the purchase. Then the next day I had a Toff spray in bed-liner and I got the Stainless flip-out bed extender from the dealer. Last night I did the FOG LIGHT mod which was a piece of cake (thanks to all that came before me with their do's and don'ts) and I will be getting a Ranch Hand Euro Grill Guard/Bumper monday or Tuesday. I will also be replacing the factory speakers very soon and possibly putting in a Sony HU with EQ and a small Sub under the rear that came out of the Bronco...

Ok.. on to posting..

I am thinking of getting a replacement air filter for the SCrew but I have some questions and I DO HAVE EXPERIENCE with these from past trucks/SUV's. Most recently, I had a K&N FIPK on my 94 Bronco XLT (OJ Edition) with a 351EFI and while the FIPK did add *some* performance and definitely saved money over the long run, it was a bit loud under acceleration and under full acceleration it sounded like a 4 barrel V-8 from a 1970's movies chase!

This got a little annoying, so my question is this, are the Air Raid or K&N FIPK replacement kits loud in the SCrew or do they have any of the same vacuum noises or growl under acceleration that I had previously experienced? I love the look of the Chrome Air Raid - sweet is all I can say... If there is still noise, I am probably going to go with the K&N replacement filter in the factory housing and be done with it... although that Chrome intake is tugging at me...

Also, what kind of real performance/milage increases are there? I am pretty light footed on my new baby so it's not going to be for drag racing but I do tow a 5k pound boat - "Reel Work" - yes as in my handle and a little utility trailer oh.. and sometimes a camping trailer...

So, let's hear it from the gallery...

Thanks so much and sorry for being so long winded... All I can say is I am a NEWBY here!

Thanks,

Chris (ReelWork)

The new baby! Sure is a pretty...

Old 08-11-2002, 12:50 PM
Chris, nice truck. I am on my second SuperCrew and am very happy with it. Fits the bill for me. Good choice on colors also. I put the Airforce 1 on. No data on fuel mileage, I really don't calculate that. You will get more noise from under the hood on acceleration with a FIPK. I like it. Only hear it when you got your foot in it. Go for it. Take care,

Old 08-11-2002, 02:33 PM
Harley... How much more noise it... That's my concern..

Thanks for the reply..

With my Bronco, it was a significant amount of noise. To give you an idea of how much more noise, when I took the K&N off and put the OEM filter box back on, the highway noise was cut in HALF. The AF1, MAC and the VOLANT are the ones I really like the look of. If it is just a little bit more noisy, then I can live with that but if it is a lot or the same as I had on the Bronco, I'll go with the replacement filter. The VOLANT definitely looks to be the quietest of all the filters with it's housing and larger intake hole but it is somewhat enclosed whereas the others are fully opened/filter exposed.

Chris (ReelWork)

Old 08-11-2002, 02:42 PM
It sounds just like a four barrel V8 from a 70's chase scene . I took a friend on a long drive and he told me that sounds good when the back 2 barrels kick in . I then had explain that I didn't have a carbuerator but it was fuel injected . If you don't want the sound then I would say go with a K&N in the stock box .

Seeing you are going to be towing I would recommend a Superchip . It really does help IMO .

Old 08-12-2002, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the replies...

Appreciate the inputs. I think I will end up going with jsut the factory replacement K&N and use the factory box to keep it quiet. My days of sounding loud and such are fading. Now I like that sleeper type where I have the power but you don't know it..

Chris (ReelWork)

Old 08-12-2002, 11:17 AM
test.... this is just a test...

Quick Reply: Replacement Filter Question... K&N/AIRRAID etc..