SuperCrew

Auto-Power Windows

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 04:30 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Auto-Power Windows

I rented a Chevy Trailblazer on my last business trip to Montana. Of all the things I hated about it, I found one thing to be very very useful.

It had dual AUTO - DOWN window switches for the front windows. In short, the driver's side and the passenger's side would go down a the touch of the window control button.

Our trucks have the driver's side window auto down but not the passenger.

I rarely run the A/C and thus, I would find this BEYOND helpful. I'd love to be able to reach over, tap two buttons and have the front windows down. Heck, for that case, why stop there? Replace the other three with auto switches.

Would it be possible to swap that switch out for another auto button and install it? Would it be that simple or is there additional wiring?

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks folks.

RP

Old 08-02-2002, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our 2001 Toyota 4Runner has auto up-down front windows. Nice feature and I'm sure it could be installed for the other windows. I believe it is just a matter of installing the proper switches and relays.

Old 08-02-2002, 05:19 PM
Clifford makes a smart window add on to there alarm system. I had it in my old truck and it was awesome. I could roll my windows up and down from my remote. Also all the windows (from the driver side control only) would get the one touch feature both up and down. I belive the alarm and SmartWindows VI was not much more than $600.

So check it out I loved mine. Also another feature was you could arm the system press another button on the remote and the windows would crack themselves about an inch for those hot days. Plus you could roll the windows down from the house (or up) if it got hot or started raining. VERY COOL!

I haven't got an alarm yet as my dealer gave me crap about it voiding the warrenty so until it runs out I will wait.

Old 08-02-2002, 06:19 PM
Moderator &

That's pretty slick dcovell. I'd like to have that too. Damn, I guess I'll just add those to the list.

I guess I'm more after information on if I could just pull switches out of trucks in the junkyard and have auto windows. Would it be just that simple?

RP

Old 08-03-2002, 01:06 PM
Moderator &

BUMP

Old 08-03-2002, 02:07 PM
I'm sure that theres a book somewhere that has the relay maped out for that switch and maybe it is that easy?

Good luck and if you find it's really easy to do that let us know because that is a mod I wouldn't mind doing.

FORD if you listening, please put put the auto down for the passenger side too. It can't cost that much more...

Old 08-04-2002, 10:16 PM
Moderator &

Unhappy Doesn't Look Like It Will Work

Well, I took the panel off my truck today in hopes of discovering that it may work. It doesn't look like it will...

Here's the full assembly (I've pulled it all apart):

Here is a close up of the switch control panel. I took the toggle switches off so that you can see the computer board on top. As you can see, the top left area where the switch itself would push upon to activate the driver's window is different from the other three. In short, you would probably have to remove the computer board and do some fancy wiring/splicing/jumping to get it to work.

Here's the bottom of the switches themselves. They aren't anything special but, they are all mounted together in the plastic housing. I don't think it would be very difficult to change a switch but, like I said before, doing the wiring with the computer board to get it to work might be a different story.

All in all, I tried. It looks like alot more than I want to even attempt to bite off. If anyone wants to take a stab at it, be my guest, I just hope whoever may try and succeed, shares the wealth with those of us who would love to have the capability. It just looks like way to big of a bear for me to attempt.

Maybe Ford is listening. Maybe they'll realize that this would be a nice item to have. I'm sure it can't cost much more in manufacturing. Until then...

RP *SMILEY*

Trending Topics

Old 08-05-2002, 02:16 AM
Rockpick -
If nothing else I have TONS of admiration for a guy that'd take that assembly apart in the quest for knowledge and photograph the peices for the enlightenment of us folks who have a history of taking things apart and not being able to reassemble them without a small handful of parts left over in our hands.
Thanks for the effort.......
I wish I had a plastic cover over the switches so that:
1. when I leave the window open and it rains in I won't worry about shorting the whole damn thing out
2. so the dog, when she jumps into the front and into my lap to look out the window, doesn't roll the windows up and down and lock and unlock the doors.
Hey, it ain't easy bein' me !!

Old 08-05-2002, 10:52 AM
Amen Brother,

you must have been the type of kid who tore the toaster apart to see where the heat came from. It's really amazing what a person can learn on this site.

Thanks, Rock for letting us know what's under the switch.

Old 08-05-2002, 10:58 AM
One intresting thing that I noticed while one of my more annoying passengers was messing with a window in the back. I locked the window but was unable to put it up while the passenger was holding the button down. He couldn't move the window up or down but while he was holding the button I could not move it up or down either. I wonder if this is a saftey thing or just the way the circity works?

Old 08-05-2002, 01:53 PM
Moderator &

dcovell, Iwao, momule -- thanks folks.

I would sincerely like to have the capabilities to auto up and down both the windows but, it's a little larger bear than I'm willing to tackle.

dcovell, I'd say it's the circuitry. Just a guess though. I know my 98 Blazer was the same way exactly...

Iwao, nah, didn't do the toaster... it was the coffee maker. I wanted to know how it made the water hot so fast. My mom just about killed me when she came home from work (she's a coffeeaholic). That wasn't a good evening in my childhood memory...... I still have nightmares.

momule, it's amazing I didn't end up with spare parts. I'm notorious for that as well.

Oh well, I'm going to look over my truck (high and low) to see if there's something else I can fool with. Back to the drawing boards....

RP

Old 08-05-2002, 07:36 PM
Talking

WOW !!! I took the toaster apart too but it wasn't to see where the heat came from. I'd already stuck a pencil down there and caught it on fire. What I wanted to know is how the darn thing knew when the toast was done.......still wonder about that one on rainy Saturday mornings........
Guess I should be grateful I don't have climate control on my truck.

Old 08-07-2002, 08:57 PM
You GOTTA love this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, my wife thinks I'm crazy cause I think all this stuff is so cool to learn about!

Old 08-07-2002, 09:19 PM
I just added a window control module to my truck on Saturday, same as the Clifford system. Its a 530T, I can roll the windows up/down from my remote and I too also have "one touch" up and down from the drivers switches.

Sorry rockpick, it not a installation for the average guy, I have my own store/shop. The thing about this I like the most is that I walk away from my truck and "Chirp" the doors lock and the windows roll up.

Just a lazy I guess.

Here is a picture of my remote

Old 08-07-2002, 09:46 PM
Moderator &

THAT IS SWEET! Retail and installed... how much we talking?

Also, do you have an appointment open for this weekend? LOL!

RP

Quick Reply: Auto-Power Windows