SuperCrew

Sirius in

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sirius in

Just installed my Sirius. It was a hassle but worth the $65 I saved on installation. I got the Kenwood SR901 tuner. I just wished the Circuit City salesperson knew that it was powered and needed a 12v tap *BEFORE* I left the store. When I asked outright if it was powered, apparently they thought the ground and battery lines running from the display model were "just for show."

Overall, I like the service. A constant signal with no drops or dead air yet. 100 channels to choose from. Good variety and near-cd quality. Taking a road trip this weekend so I can put it through its paces.

What I like most is with the Kenwood KDC MP919 (which is satellite ready), I get channel number, channel name, category, artist, song title, and album information streamed across the HU screen. It's like listening to a disc encoded with MP3s. It blows my hair back to be able to see what I'm listening. Is this only a Kenwood thing or does everyone else get this? How about you XM owners?

Last edited by Sean Harris; 08-01-2002 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:22 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yup, as we've discussed, XM streams the title, artist, etc. as well.

I LOVE MY XM! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!

Also, as a tidbit of info for those of you thinking about jumping the XM fence (which I highly recommend), they are offering FREE INSTALLATION with the purchase.

Personally, I went with the Pioneer FM Modulator unit so that I could hang on to my stock head unit and stock changer (I'm not a quality freak, just quantity).

XM, like SIRIUS, offers 100 digital quality stations ranging in programming from news and weather to sports, with every type of music imaginable (reggae, blues, jazz, rock, swing, rap, soul, christian, etc). XM also offers a few comedy channels and, starting in September, XM will offer a PLAYBOY RADIO channel.

Now, I'm not real sure what they'll be playing on the PLAYBOY channel (I suspect interviews, product reviews, an occasional sex talk, etc) but, I don't see it being as successful as the magazine although, it might. I mean, we all buy Playboy for the articles right? I surely do

Whatever you decide to go with, XM or SIRIUS, I really don't think you'll be upset. It's a whole new dimension in radio broadcasts... one of which I'm very glad I jumped on board and decided to try it out. I haven't listed to FM since I installed XM.

Feel free to post or email questions.

www.xmradio.com

www.sirius.com

RP

Old 08-01-2002, 10:24 PM
ads

Do either of you guys, have ANY ads or commercials with your service?

My understanding is that the pay service, should eliminate ALL the advertisements. However I heard recently that they are trying to sneak some back in with the plans.

Let me know the real scoop.

Thanks

RP

Old 08-01-2002, 11:01 PM
ryan.posey,

The only ads I've heard are promos for the station I'm listening to or other Sirius stations. They're quick 10 second blurbs. All 60 Sirius music channels are advertised as commercial free. I believe some of the talk stations probably run ads since they aren't owned or run by Sirius or XM radio like ESPN News, CNBC, A&E, NPR.

Sirius does have their own talk channels and might run ads on them. I'll give a listen on my way home.

Old 08-02-2002, 08:22 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
XM does have a few ads.

Here's the scoop. Regular FM radio typically airs, on average, around 20-25 mins of commercials per hour. XM airs approximately 7 mins.

Sirius is advertised to have no commercials however, like Sean said, he's heard the occasional commercial. Sirius is $12.99/mnth. XM is $9.99 month. Both have an activation charge. (not sure what Sirius costs but, XM is $9.99 if you activate online).

The ads that are played on XM consist PRIMARILY of ads for other stations on XM or events that XM is putting on (remotes etc). I've only heard a couple of commercials for 'products' that I can recall.

I'm nothing but happy with the addition of XM to my King Ranch Supercrew. As I mentioned before, I highly recommed it.

Hope this helps. Feel free to post or email with questions.

Quick Reply: Sirius in