SuperCrew

RPM Rev

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RPM Rev

I love my Screw. However, I go out to start it each morning to let it warm up and have notice a slight rev. I start the truck and notice as the RPM winds down to 800 (about 20-30 seconds after start) the engine starts to rev up and down between 600 and 900 RPM. It only does this in the mornings after it has been sitting overnight. After about 30 seconds of doing this the rev goes away and it runs just fine. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem or know of anyone who has heard of this?

Old 07-27-2002, 06:13 PM
So no one has seen this? I'm assuming it goes into Ford on the first available day then? Advice needed here.

Old 07-27-2002, 06:58 PM
Rev

Sorry nobody has responded ... but I know I kind of questioned if there is a problem. I do not sit 20-30 seconds to let the truck warm up. I crank the truck wait a couple of seconds put it in gear and go. If the windows are frosted I will let it warm up while I scrape ice. In the winter the idle will be 1,000+ RPM when I first crank it. These trucks have Fuel injection, so they will NOT go dead if you do not let them warm up.

Do you want to be without the truck for two days for something that happens at 20 seconds and stops at 60 seconds after the truck is cranked first thing in the morning? If it happened to me I would just let them check to see if the computer is holding a code the next time I had it in for service.

Sarcasm time:
Are you my father's neighbor? He cranks his truck (no mufflers) and lets it run every morning at 6am for 30 minutes (All year round). Never mind he is a Chevy owner and probably has too ...

Old 07-27-2002, 08:25 PM
I have not noticed this either. I do the same as Screwfun. start her up and off I go.

I was always told that you did not need to "warm up" these new engines. Idle time is bad IMO. Puts wear and tear on the components without logging miles.

Pete

Old 07-28-2002, 04:30 PM
Thanks fellas for the replies. I was beginning to wonder myself about the idle time. I was discussing this the other day with a friend. He told me he does the same thing... start it up and off he goes. He said he thought that letting the truck warm up was not a good thing and mentioned he thought he read somewhere that this was bad. I don't know I guess I do this out of habbit. I had a Ranger for 10 years did this and never had a problem with it. I have it scheduled to take in on Tuesday evening and let it sit overnight to have them check it out. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: RPM Rev