SuperCrew

Entertainment System

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Entertainment System

For those of you interested in adding the multimedia entertainment system I just noticed that Parts Express is selling most of the Visteon video components from the Screw for our stock head units. The RF interface looks neat that it is actually powered to only turn on when you activate the system so it will not interfere with normal radio reception.

Old 07-26-2002, 04:21 PM
Another option on the RF modulator is the Irock 300W. This little gadget can be seen at:
http://www.myirock.com It is a little box with a head phone plug that will transmit the audio through one of four stations on your truck stereo.
I picked one up at a Radio Shack for ~$30, pluged it into a Laptop with a DVD player and made a long drive seem very short. There were four of us on that trip and as soon as we started a movie three of the four people were in the back seat. From then on we made it a rule to stop every two hours to let the driver enjoy a movie. The laptop sat quite comfortably between front seats.

Old 07-27-2002, 09:09 AM
Hook-Up?????????

You say this will hook up to the standard head unit that comes with the screw????????? How difficult is this venture?????

Can you have the kids in the back seat with the headphones on and still listen to the radio/cd in the front seat????

How hard is the monitor hookup?????

Thanks in advance for any possible help/guidance!!!!

Joey "O"

PS Is the wiring already in place like may others for the SCREW?????

Old 07-27-2002, 09:39 AM
Re: Entertainment System

Originally posted by xole
selling most of the Visteon video components from the Screw for our stock head units.

Yea, they are selling them out because that division of visteon went out of business and the stuff is tearing up and not able to be fixed. Ive got 2 windstars customers at work that are ridint around with wires hanging out if their headliners becasue the LCD quit and we cont get them fixed/replaced.

Old 07-27-2002, 10:03 AM
WOW, thanks for the heads up!!!!!!

I guess it goes back to the old saying "you get what you pay for" The only problem is, I really want a system but do not have the money for most of what is out there. I though with that system being stock, it might be a possiblity!!!!

Oh well, another mod out of my $$$$$$$$

Thanks Again!!

Joey "O"

Old 07-27-2002, 11:05 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Maybe not be exactly like what you are looking for

Have you looked into the portable units that have the monitor and vcr all in one ?

These seem to be in the same price range as the one posted above.

The are mainly made for going inbetween the front seats of mini vans, but if you went and looked at one, I woudl imagine that it comes apart fairly easy, and could mount the VCR under the pass seat, and make a mount for the montior that uses PVC pipes for the cup holders and straps to the lid.
This might no-op the lid on the console, but it is just a thought.

You could got he same way with looking at a external monitor and VCR setp from somewhere like Crutchfield.
It woudl take some work to build the cabinet / base for the monitor, and then take it to an unpost. shop to be covered in something that matches you interior.

If this does not make sense, just let me know and I'll try to explain better. A fair amount of work, but it does what you are looking for.

Also I don't know about the Ford unit, but my friend is a cop in East Dundee, IL and the Chevy dealer got hit one night, they took 3 units out of the headliner, they come out too easy, and thiefs know this.

Old 07-28-2002, 09:40 PM
Lightbulb

I am an owner of the factory installed entertainment system in a 2001 SCrew and have an idea to share.

In my opinion it is money better spent if you purchase a middle of the road to high end DVD capable lap-top and head phone splitter for the kids, just put it on the console lid.

I have used the entertainment system in my 2001 SCrew and will not be ordering that option again, $1500.00 Cdn will buy at least a 15" DVD lap-top that you get to use for other things while the SCrew isn't on a long trip. I have both and now we can't seem to go back to watching a 6" celling mounted screen, playing a VHS tape in the console after seeing the lap-top at 15". No more tape trading with the driver (the lid hinges at the back) faster replay, it will play games as well, and the cd/dvd's take up less room.

I am ordering another truck soon and will check off the moon roof box instead.

Just my Opinion,, and maybe food for thought.

Trending Topics

Old 07-28-2002, 09:47 PM
Computer smarter way

We are lucky the console is wide enought to hold a laptop. I have been doing this on all of our trips over 2 hours. Kids love it. They can play games or watch a DVD.

I have not done the entertainment system because this works so well. Plus it is easy to move laptop between the Screw and Expy. Or a new Screw

Old 07-29-2002, 09:21 PM
Mounting places

I was looking at everything and wanted to know where the control board mounted. Thanks

Old 07-30-2002, 02:15 AM
The control board would mount on the back of the center console (facing passengers) so they could control the system via the remote. I have the factory system in my SCrew and love it!

Old 07-30-2002, 02:25 PM
Unhappy No factory LCD solution

I checked all the information out on this thread and as far as I can tell there is still NO solution for getting a stock LCD display in the space of an empty overhead console. All other solution seem to require cutting, adding, replacing, mounting-next-to, etc.

Is there any way to get the factory 6.4" flip-down LCD screen for a vehicle that did not order the Entertainment System option?

-savage

Old 07-30-2002, 03:40 PM
VCR

I have a 01 screw with the captn chairs and wanted to know if the vcr will fit in the console with the disc changer. Also will everything listed work on the stock radio. Thanks

Old 07-30-2002, 08:39 PM
Visteon mobile video

I was very interested in the stuff I seen on the parts express web site so I called visteon to ask a few questions and they give a number for a local distributer which is in NC and this fellow told me that he stopped carring their product because its junk his own words. So I thought I would spread the word.

Old 07-30-2002, 09:27 PM
THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the heads up!!!

Joey "O"

Quick Reply: Entertainment System